1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MyBB to Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Captured Enigma, May 12, 2015.

1. Captured Enigma

Captured Enigma New Member

I have done so research but wanted to ask here to make sure I can chat about it before I make a final decision.
    • I have a MyBB forum and I want to convert to Xenforo. I can make a database backup, but how would I get the database onto the Xenforo forum?
    • My forum is located at www.example.com I will want that to be the case if I install Xenforo, I will not be making it example.com/forum
    Will this be possible? How hard would it be? Could I get detailed steps explaining how to easily do this?

If so, I will happily buy XF :D Thanks for the help :D
  2. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

There is a MyBB 1.6/1.8 importer built in. You just install XenForo to your web server and run the import tool, it's really simple.
  3. Captured Enigma

Thanks for the reply, could I still have the XF forum installed at the root directory where MYBB is installed now?
  4. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

No, move it to /forum and then swap them around when you are done.
  5. rv65

rv65 Active Member

I too switched from MyBB to XF, and I seem to like it, though I had to enable multiquote as it was disabled by default. When importing from MyBB, make sure you check your permissions as I had to make sure all the permissions are ok. I was actually locked out of a forum where only staff could post, and had to make sure that was ok as well.
  6. Captured Enigma

I don't understand about moving them when I'm don. How would I do that? I would install XF to /forum, but I want it at the root directory
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You just need to move the existing installation to an archive and move XF to the root.
  8. Captured Enigma

I see, is there somewhere that people usually move it or can I create a folder in public html called mybb then move it there?
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's up to you.
  10. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

Tar the whole old installation and keep it somewhere.
    Or do you plan to let it run beside the new installation?
    If not you dont need it anymore in public_html.
  11. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

You can achieve that in 2 ways. 1) Install first xenforo to some folder, do the conversion and then move xenforo back to the root. 2) Move your mybb forum to another folder, say forum, then install xenforo directly to the root and then run the conversion tool. Both ways should work fine.
    Robust likes this.