• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

My XenForo Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, thanks for the large response. Instead of just quoting each and every one of you, I'm going to respond generally to your issues (most of which I agree with):

I agree that the submenu needs to differentiate itself a bit more. I'll play with it.

I also agree that the black footer needs work. It's an overpowering transition from the light tones of the main body to the very sharp, dark tones of the footer. It's a little too much for the eye to handle. I'll tone it down but overall I like it so I'm not going to remove it completely. I may end up splitting it into two different-colored areas, per Lawrence's suggestion. :)

To those saying it's too narrow: It's the exact same width as the default fixed width style. Look at the homepage on the default fixed width and I think you'll find that it looks "too narrow" as well. Keep in mind, though, that on the forum pages and thread pages, the sidebars don't exist and thus the main content takes up the full width. It's already 976px wide, and I need to make sure it fits within a 1024x768 browser window (taking into account browser chrome), so if I widened it at all the difference would be negligible. :)

The numbers inside the talk bubble icons are the number of unread threads inside that forum. I thought this would be a cool idea to let you see how many threads you haven't read, or where you have to "catch up" the most. :) If a number reaches 3 digits, it will simply transform to ellipses (...). You will also be able to turn this feature off, so that each unread forum's icon will simply display ellipses instead of a number (or nothing, if you want). I've also made the text smaller. :)

talkbubble.webp

What is your standard text font? It's very smooth.
It's just Arial at various sizes. It looks smooth due to Photoshop's anti-aliasing. :)

I must also wonder what the graph-like icon is near Members Online Now... is that a graph of your peaks or is it just a random image you think would look good there :p
It's intended to be the feature I have in my signature - a graph of member activity over the last 24 hours. I just took the current image I have and plopped it in there to give you the idea. It still needs work to fit in with the theme. :)

Nice work Erik. I really love this skin and I love the Have You Met area. It really adds to that social aspect. I'm guessing it's just going to be an array of new members then you're going to randomise the array?

Nice work Erik. I really love this skin and I love the Have You Met area. It really adds to that social aspect. I'm guessing it's just going to be an array of new members then you're going to randomise the array?
Yeah, I haven't worked out the details yet, but it'll be a psuedo-random selection of members. I want it to be members who are active participants in the community, but don't have enough posts yet to be well-known. So it might be something like a random selection from members with over 30 posts and less than 500 posts. :)

Erik, I thought I recognized you but I wasn't sure til I found your home page. Under Web Resources, you gave a credit to a site that no longer exists. But it has a successor. Liz

Erik, I thought I recognized you but I wasn't sure til I found your home page. Under Web Resources, you gave a credit to a site that no longer exists. But it has a successor. Liz
Haha, don't look at that! :oops: I haven't updated my website in ages! :P I recognized you when you signed up, but I didn't think you would remember me. :P

Loving the revision - great work.

You should blog/document/YouTube the process from design to implementation when you're able to work on the template. If you do so in a timely fashion, that'll get you a mammoth-load of traffic ;)

I'm not a huge fan of mock ups (or blue hehehe) but you have some nice ideas there... will be interested to see it on a live copy :)

My exact thoughts :)

To Erik.... you are on the right track, a lot of people like Blue and a very clean layout like that.

The numbers in the bubble are not working for me though, as Peggy said, too big, and it ruins what is otherwise a quite nice graphic.

Love the theme you've created, even better than the default xenforo one! (am I going to be shot for saying that?) and the "Have you met, and Might be interested in" footer is a stroke of genius which the devs should have implemented into the core package imo. A suggestions thread for it would be a step in the right direction.

Love the theme you've created, even better than the default xenforo one!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

(am I going to be shot for saying that?)
gunsmiley.gif

Yes, a default theme has many things it needs to accomplish and I feel as though K&M have hit the nail on the head with this one. That's not to say yours isn't looking very good Erik. I think the revisions to the footer are much better. You may even consider going a little lighter actually ;)

Personally I am eternally grateful that xenforo didn't go for something like Erik's theme... (no offense Erik)
110% agree. The default theme should be simple and clean, which is exactly what we have. I would be disappointed if the default theme ended up looking something like mine. :)

Your theme is great Erik, as I said before many will love that clean blue look. :)

110% agree. The default theme should be simple and clean, which is exactly what we have. I would be disappointed if the default theme ended up looking something like mine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom