1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my web host runs "php safe"

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by steve_aust, Mar 14, 2011.

1. steve_aust

steve_aust Member

I'm looking at putting xenForo on my web host.
    I've looked at IP Board & all the others, in my opinion XenForo is the cleanest looking, least cluttered & most attractive forum I have seen. Love the facebook / twitter SEO integration too.

My web host runs php (5.2.12) in "safe mode".

Q. Does xenForo need php in "non-safe mode" just for the install?
    or does php safe need to be turned off all the time for the board to run.

-or- is there a work-around?
  2. Nasr

Nasr Well-Known Member

download this file and upload it to your forum directory and run it to test for compatibility. plus some hosts will turn safe-mode off if you ask them. I asked my host and they did that for me.
  3. Jose Amaral Mota

Jose Amaral Mota Active Member

(Installation and Upgrades test script)
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

We require safe mode to be off, mostly due to manipulating the file system in some instances. So XF requires safe_mode to be off when running.
  5. steve_aust

steve_aust Member

Thanks to Nasr, Jose Amaral Mota & Mike for answers & explanations.
    I need to find a new web host, one who allows php to run in 'normal' mode.

May I ask is this a standard requirement (php running in 'non safe mode') for other forum software written in php?
  6. estranged

estranged Well-Known Member

Then you should change your host. Safe mode is deprecated. A good host don't need safe mode to make php safe if he knows what he is doing.
    Darkimmortal likes this.
  7. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Not to mention that 'safe mode' is one of the worst naming choices in the history of the PHP language.
    tickedon and Darkimmortal like this.