My social experiment

Adam Howard

So 3 years ago I started a website, Socially Uncensored. And the basic goal was to provide an outlet where everyone could speak freely without restriction. No topic or comment was ever " to taboo" or not allowed and everything was on the table for discussion.

In those 3 years I noticed a trend. The people who cried the loudest about not silencing or restricting others... In a sense, the people who wanted the most censorship & cried the most about others being able to freely speak without restriction was my fellow Americans.

I find this kind of interesting and don't really know what to make of this.

As a fellow American myself, I know we pride ourselves in claiming to support free speech and denounce any ideas of censorship. And yet it was my fellow American's who in the last 3 years, who while enjoyed the freedom of speaking without restriction, seemed to demand the most restrictions for others.

What do you make of my findings?

I think people are deranged for thinking there is any such thing as free speech, IMHO.

Sure, you can say anything you want, but it may cost you via jail, punishments, fines, so forth... depending who you choose to unleash your free speech towards, and when.

So does that make it actually free if it costs you in other possible ways?

Stand out the front of the White House and express your right to free speech stating you want to blow it up. Lets see how "free" that is!

If I write, "Adam Howard is a rapist pig." That is libel if untrue... thus is it really free?

I think people are deranged for thinking there is any such thing as free speech, IMHO.

Sure, you can say anything you want, but it may cost you via jail, punishments, fines, so forth... depending who you choose to unleash your free speech towards, and when.

Stand out the front of the White House and express your right to free speech stating you want to blow it up. Lets see how "free" that is!

If I write, "Adam Howard is a rapist pig." That is libel if untrue... thus is it really free?

I really hate how many policies and laws we have that hinder freedom of speech.

And often "slander" laws are way to abused & are not used for protecting anyone, but simply attacking individuals who have said things which are merely disliked or thought inconvenient by the other part.

We have so many laws, policies, and even social pressure not to speak our thoughts, opinions, and ideas that its sickening.

Maybe this is why it was my fellow Americans who out of all demanded the most censorship of others.

I really hate how many policies and laws we have that hinder freedom of speech.

And often "slander" laws are way to abused & are not used for protecting anyone, but simply attacking individuals who have said things which are merely disliked or thought inconvenient by the other part.

We have so many laws, policies, and even social pressure not to speak our thoughts, opinions, and ideas that its sickening.

Maybe this is why it was my fellow Americans who out of all demanded the most censorship of others.
Nah.

Imagine if everyone actually spoke up their minds when they wanted to. There would be a whole lot more people getting fired all over the world, for one. :P Besides, let's take racism for an example. Some people hate some race, group or whatever. Does anyone really benefit if they broadcast that opinion all over the place? Ultimately, all that does is create anger. I think freedom of speech is a nice thought overall, but some things are better left unspoken.

Nah.

Imagine if everyone actually spoke up their minds when they wanted to. There would be a whole lot more people getting fired all over the world, for one. :p Besides, let's take racism for an example. Some people hate some race, group or whatever. Does anyone really benefit if they broadcast that opinion all over the place? Ultimately, all that does is create anger. I think freedom of speech is a nice thought overall, but some things are better left unspoken.

I'm not a fan of racism, but I don't believe anyone should be denied the right to speak their thoughts, opinions, or ideas, regardless if I or you like it or not. Because once you cross the line into censorship, there is no realistic end to as how far that could go & "common sense" is only whatever is believed "in the moment" (far subjective to change & circumstans, thus easily abused).

Still it begs the question.... America prides its self on being the leader of the free world, which promotes the most freedom of speech, yet it was Americans who demended the most censorship. That's something I didn't expect.

As a point of interest, Islamic countries came in 2nd. I was not surprised with their actionns, but still they came in 2nd. With only China officials coming in 3rd.

@RDR, your post came across as quite disrespectful to other members. Also, note that is against the rules to question moderator actions publicly, you should be using private channels to ask such questions.

Sorry, I didn't know what was going on.

I apologise to everyone for saying this topic does not belong here and asking the mods to lock it. Not entirely sure how that was quite disrespectful to other members (it happens regularly on these very forums by others).

Clearly, my ideas of using humour to make a point is not shared by others. Lesson learned, must keep mouth shut.

Still it begs the question.... America prides its self on being the leader of the free world, which promotes the most freedom of speech, yet it was Americans who demended the most censorship. That's something I didn't expect.

I suspect Americans are far more aware of the damage racism causes, therefore we are the first to not tolerate it. I think this is a very good thing. One day the world will rid itself of racism and things like the hate towards gay and lesbians.

I think you are mixing your terminology a bit. Free speech has never been about being able to say whatever you want, but to be able to express any opinion you want. Accusing someone to be a rapist is not an opinion, neither is claiming to blowing up something. One of the most devastating things against free speech is censoring the media, which I suspect is done to some degree in countries with free speech. Also, it seems most proponent of free speech seems to think the internet is not a good venue for it, as they want to be able to limit what information should flow there as well. Those are the real threats against free speech.

So 3 years ago I started a website, Socially Uncensored. And the basic goal was to provide an outlet where everyone could speak freely without restriction. No topic or comment was ever " to taboo" or not allowed and everything was on the table for discussion.

In those 3 years I noticed a trend. The people who cried the loudest about not silencing or restricting others... In a sense, the people who wanted the most censorship & cried the most about others being able to freely speak without restriction was my fellow Americans.

As a fellow American myself, I know we pride ourselves in claiming to support free speech and denounce any ideas of censorship. And yet it was my fellow American's who in the last 3 years, who while enjoyed the freedom of speaking without restriction, seemed to demand the most restrictions for others.

I think it is typical, there are bad people with convoluted views of what free speech means and with dense populations, fragments of others mentalities wear off on one another setting an environment where who ever speaks the loudest and carries the biggest stick is right and most people unless really moved by something or have a vested interest in it...could really care less about what happens to those involved, generally speaking in an abstract way, most people are fine with you throwing your trash anywhere...as long as it is not in their backyard.

Apply that logic, you get people who think they can say anything about anyone, until someone says something about them, then it becomes a problem.

Free speech does exist.

Once spoken words indicate a threat of intended physical or mental harm it becomes a crime and falls out of free speech, when someone uses words to tarnish someones reputation, or to make an unfounded accusation which could ruin a persons life they are crossing over from exercising free speech to using words as a verbal assault missile with hostile intent.

The concept is very simple.

You can say whatever you want as long as it doesn't violate any of the constitutional rights granted to another. The only problem with the constitution goes back to the same old problem that occurs often when dealing with people...the people.

As long as there is a set of rules to ensure everyone has an equal chance and a fair opportunity, there will be people who attempt to pervert the intents in order to rationalize stepping on another mans back in the name of widening their field of opportunity, establishing a cheap, effortless and lazy way of self assertion and ultimately to further their own prosperity at the cost of anyone else.

The people who do these things care nothing of the worlds people on the individual level and use a form of mental gymnastics to justify to themselves that what they are doing is acceptable and also telling themselves and others 'that is just the way it is'.

It's a two-sided issue.

America in general is more socially conservative than other countries. In the sense that we're not open to various topics of discussion or action compared to other countries. It's not political, but the flow of social discussion is very different.

Second off, some Americans who fail to use their brain, as you pointed out, have this attitude of "**** you, I've got mine." wherein they're OK with others, so as long as their rights as a human being don't impede on theirs. Bizarre viewpoint, isn't it? Those same people think we're number one at everything. America hasn't been number one in anything remotely positive for the last sixty years.

Maybe the sample size is too small? People who use forums are a very specific type of community. For example, I am a techie and a Christian. Many of my fellow internet using techies tend to lean more toward atheism. Nonetheless, globally speaking Atheism is a small movement (about 2% of people). That is a big generalization but I am sure you have worked enough in our space to notice the trend. In the same way, since you are only speaking to forum using Americans, probably a very small percent of the whole American population, maybe this has impacted your findings?

Top Bottom