My site worth....

Matthew Hawley

So I went to siteworth.org to see what one of my domains (letspwn.com) was worth and it said $1,600. I got excited because I might sell it, and then I went to another domain worth website.......$58 :cry:

So how do I know which is correct?

It's worth what someone is willing to pay. I check them from time to time. Mine has been increasing over time but is still all over the place. I just do it to see what they find in backlinks and other stats. I have no plans on selling.

A site could be worth something to someone if they want the content. Speaking of that, can content from another forum be added into a current forum with put messing things up?

For some it might be the domain name or traffic that holds the value to them imo.

James

So I went to siteworth.org to see what one of my domains (letspwn.com) was worth and it said $1,600. I got excited because I might sell it, and then I went to another domain worth website.......$58 :cry:

So how do I know which is correct?

I purchased the drone site in my sig for $1500.
I paid that because it had been active for a year and had 40 or so blog entries, many of which I could keep live - and mostly because it still had a certain number of page views.

At the low end of web sites (such as what we are discussing), there are some simple metrics which may point to value

1. Is the domain of any real value? - in the case of the one I bought, it was not....I had others which would have been as good.
2. Does it have traffic - valid traffic of a certain type which you can build on? This was my reason for offering the guy $1500, which he promptly accepted.
3. Does it currently produce income from ads or sponsors? If so, someone is likely to pay you a certain multiple of that income. This would be from 3X to 5X the yearly amount. So if your site brought in $20 a month, they may pay you $1,000 for it, etc.

Add the three together and you have some kind of a market value....

I have a question/thought having to do with this somewhat, I randomly get emails about a few domains I own and someone seeking me out to purchase them from me.

Has anyone else gotten random offers?

I have gotten some that I laughed at quite loudly and then I have gotten some offers that almost made me check out if the emails were legit or a form of spam. I don't do anything with most of my domains but I have a lot of them. I wonder if I should try messing with one of those offers or if they are complete junk.

Since there is nothing worth looking at on most of my domains and assuming the offers are legit would it be safe to say that these offers are based on someone purely wanting the domain name?

I'd say those random ones are pretty useless. I tried sussing a few out over the years and although some of them were actual people who would buy a domain (or represented others), none of them would fully disclose who they were or why they wanted them, etc....

They are probably based on vast email lists and eventually finding some real bargains.

Figures...

Maybe I should sell all of my unused domains as a giant block?...I dunno, either way...it's time for me to downsize all my holdings and renewing all those unused domains is a waste of money.

Top Bottom