my site was hacked through an old wordpress installation

I am sorry to hear that you got hacked sir. The same thing has happened to me and a friend of mine a few months back with an old Joomla installation.

Excellent advice about older unused software and add ons. Or at the very least, to update them, even if one is not using them anymore.

wow do you think is really non-secure like this?

Yes. WordPress is very insecure and always a target. Enabling automatic updates is usually a good idea. This updates the site any time WP developers release a new version or a security patch.

Someone hacked my church's wordpress site that I put up for them, and it really sucked.
I got that alarm program, and wordfence, and it helped some, but not totally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. WordPress is very insecure and always a target. Enabling automatic updates is usually a good idea. This updates the site any time WP developers release a new version or a security patch.
Enabling automatic updates is vital to keeping Wordpress secure.

wow do you think is really non-secure like this?

WordPress is extremely great for what it does though it is a very big target given the number of websites running it. Should always be kept up to date (plugins also) and implement the other recommended security measures to help.

I guess it's time to delete the default WP themes I don't use then.
You don't want to run the risk of accidently (or otherwise) of switching to an unmaintained theme and then being compromised less than 24 hours later by automatic bots.

Top Bottom