My own server? Questions

You must be on pretty crappy VPS hosting then, because with the figures he's given, a VPS would be the perfect starting point. I host 2 forums, 230k and 320k posts, and the load of my VPS hardly ever goes above 0.5, and RAM usage is at ~1.8GB out of the 3GB I have available.

Pretty good by my count.....you must have some super tuned VPS. Wonderful...well we all can't be rich.

I start by avoiding any host which doesn't specifically mention they don't overload their servers
So I think hostgator would be one host I wouldn't bother with. :P

I can get by with a VPS server with some extra memory. You on the other hand need to be looking at dedicated servers. You'd bog a VPS down to the point of crashing lol.
He's going to manage it himself; he can get a decent Linode for $79/month.

A lot of other companies, even managed, sell fairly high spec VPS for less than $100 a month.

Yeah, we've got 900k posts, couple hundred users online at any given time, and our VPS is running close to idle. Load average is typically less than 0.5, almost always less than 1. I'm not sure what the underlying hardware is at the moment, but we've got 16 cores available. Using about 1.8GB of ram. I'd post my munin graphs, but thanks to a lot of upgrading/patching in the last few days, they're hardly representative. :LOL:

I'd say you should be able to find something good for $50-100/mo, depending on the actual server requirements, hosting company, etc.

Load average is typically less than 0.5, almost always less than 1. I'm not sure what the underlying hardware is at the moment, but we've got 16 cores available. Using about 1.8GB of ram.
Exactly the same here (y)
vps.webp

http://www.knownhost.com/vps_packages.html

We've been there for several years, and I'm happy. There might be cheaper/better featured/better supported companies out there, but I don't consider moving hosts to be a zero-cost process. We've essentially been running the same instance the entire time, and have migrated up and down the plan tiers as our requirements changed or the host's underlying hardware specs improved.

Top Bottom