My forum is down - Not Found error

Hilmer

Hi guys - really hope one of you can help me with this trouble:
A few days ago everything worked fine, but today I got emails from the users of my site - it is down.

I can enter the page www.hilmer-koch.dk/forum and I can enter admin area.
But when I enter a post or anything else I get the following error:

NOT FOUND
Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help.

The address looks fine (as it use to do):

http://hilmer-koch.dk/forum/threads/med-sikkerhed-en-ulv-i-det-midtjyske.927/

Is the page not found error a Wordpress generated one (as you have Worldpress in your root)? If so might also be a conflict with your Wordpress .htaccess file?

Azhria Lilu: Are you sure - none of me team members can enter anything but the front page?

Borbole: Yes it is checked and I do have a .htaccess file. Sunday everything worked fine and it has been working perfect for a year or so.

Ingenious - okay that make sense. We are using a WP-theme.
Just tried to uncheck the Use Full Friendly URLs option.
Now everything works just perfect.

Any suggestion on how I can get it to work again with the Use Full Friendly URLs option checked? Otherwise A lot of links will be broken..

Yes it is a WordPress 404 error. I note that non-fancy URLs work fine (any link within the forum at the moment), but friendly URLs don't, they generate the WP error. I definitely agree with borbole here, it's likely an htaccess problem caused by rewrite settings somewhere, either with Xenforo or Wordpress. Did you change any WP settings over the weekend that you can remember?

Edit - cross post with yours Hilmer.

Did you make any changes in Wordpress to the permalink settings, or have you published a new blog or page with forum/ or forum/threads as the permalink? (Which might cause it to rewrite anything supposed to be for Xenforo)? Clutching at straws a bit here, sorry, as this is not my area of expertise.

We are working on our home page in WP, so maybe that is what cause the problems. I am so glad it is working again. Though I really want the Use Full Friendly URLs option to be turned on again - any suggestion on how I can do it so it will not affect get in conflict with my Word Press install?

Right, it's coming back to me now, because when I ran WP an XF together I had a conflict and needed to make a change somewhere (sorry it was a while ago and I have since split the forum and WP into different servers). I had to add something to the Wordpress .htaccess file to exclude certain folders from the rewrite settings, ie. the forum folder. If you Google "wordpress permalinks exclude folder" you will get some guides such as:

http://kbase.siteserving.com/applic...xclude-folders-from-wordpress-permalinks.html

Basically the change is a small one, it adds a / to one of the lines. You should then be able to switch the friendly URLs back on and WP will ignore forum/ leaving it to Xenforo to rewrite with its own .htaccess.

Please wait for other members to respond before you start making changes though, because I am not 100% sure this is your problem. What worries me is that it was all working until the weekend, so why did it suddenly stop working?

Top Bottom