My forum has 290K users and 30M posts and I need some suggestions

fingon

Like how powerful server I need and how to optimize it.
Is Linode 8G plan enough?

And please give me other suggestions ,thanks ;);)

Here is the Peak Period Statistics(Not very often but sometimes will be very high like this):
136K IP/ Day [Average weekly] and 2.6M PV /Day [Average weekly]
QQ图片20150519144924.webp

Last edited:
It's really going to depend on a lot of factors. How many active members? Are you wanting a panel? 8gb plan should run it if properly set up, but will struggle if you have thousands of active members logged in and posting.

I'm running a 2M post board with 600-700 users online at any given time on a VM with 2 CPU cores and 4 GB of RAM. The CPU is probably not as good as Linode's (newer generation, but lower clock speed). So I think your main issue will be number of concurrent users online at a time. That's what will determine how hard your server gets hit. Linode has SSDs, which is going to be really nice with 30M posts since the database will be massive. You more than likely won't be able to cache even the majority of the database in RAM. I would definitely give it a try - it would be a fun server tuning project to see how much you can get out of a Linode. :)

It's really going to depend on a lot of factors. How many active members? Are you wanting a panel? 8gb plan should run it if properly set up, but will struggle if you have thousands of active members logged in and posting.
I want try to use VESTACP.
30K IP /day
500K PV /day
it's about last week;)

the max is almost 100K IP /day and 1M+ PV /day

Last edited:
I'm running a 2M post board with 600-700 users online at any given time on a VM with 2 CPU cores and 4 GB of RAM. The CPU is probably not as good as Linode's (newer generation, but lower clock speed). So I think your main issue will be number of concurrent users online at a time. That's what will determine how hard your server gets hit. Linode has SSDs, which is going to be really nice with 30M posts since the database will be massive. You more than likely won't be able to cache even the majority of the database in RAM. I would definitely give it a try - it would be a fun server tuning project to see how much you can get out of a Linode. :)
:(I have more than you dude.
If Linode 8G is laggy, I will change to 16Go_O

What's the size of the database? I would argue that with SQL caching, there is no way 8GB is going to hold 30M posts. Maybe 16GB and more towards 32GB with all other caching systems/anything else that consumes RAM.
What specs do you currently have and what is the forum system? server configuration? (SQL? PHP?)

What's the size of the database? I would argue that with SQL caching, there is no way 8GB is going to hold 30M posts. Maybe 16GB and more towards 32GB with all other caching systems/anything else that consumes RAM.
What specs do you currently have and what is the forum system? server configuration? (SQL? PHP?)
Database is almost 25GB(.MDF)
I have bought a server with E3-1240v2/500G SSD/16G RAM/1G port today.
the old one is ASP+MSSQL,running on 2 servers now(L5520*2/8G RAM/1TB SATA), 1 for website and 1 for MSSQL.

We have double your posts and do 2.2 million pageviews a month. This is our server at http://www.reliablesite.net:

Code:
Dedicated Servers - 16 Core Server - Dual Intel Xeon E5 2630 V3 (PNJ) Pending
servernyc
Port Speed:
1 Gbps Dedicated Port
Bandwidth:
10,000 GB Premium Transfer
Memory:
128 GB DDR4 ECC RAM $140.00 USD
Primary Hard Drive:
512 GB Primary SSD Drive $25.00 USD
Second Hard Drive:
512 GB Second SSD Drive $30.00 USD
Third Hard Drive:
512 GB Third SSD Drive $30.00 USD
Fourth Hard Drive:
512 GB Fourth SSD Drive $30.00 USD
RAID Array:
RAID 10 (Requires 4 Hard Drives)
Hardware RAID Card:
Hardware RAID Card w/BBU $50.00 USD
Operating System:
CentOS
Control Panel:
No Control Panel
Microsoft SQL Server:
No SQL Server Database
Additional IPs:
5 Usable IPs (/29)
KVM Access:
Dedicated KVM Access with Virtual Media
DDoS Protection:
10 Gbps DDoS Protection
Server Management:
Self-Managed/Unmanaged
FTP Backup Space:
No Backup Space

ElasticSearch has come a long way since XenForo first adopted it. We are looking at significantly reduced ram usage per post than what was initially recommended when ES was first supported by XenForo.

Screenshot 2015-05-21 01.05.06.webp

ES also provides much better search results than MySQL does.

Because there is a hell of a price difference between a VM with 32gb of ram and 40gb of HDD space and one with 2gb of ram and 40gb of SSD space and very little performance difference for a properly configured MySQL database.
In today's world, you can purchase droplets with 96GB or RAM for very little money, so I can't find a reason doing it, not to mention that SSD drives are decreasing their write/read speeds when you abuse them (and whatever you're offering is kind of an abuse for an SSD).

ElasticSearch has come a long way since XenForo first adopted it. We are looking at significantly reduced ram usage per post than what was initially recommended when ES was first supported by XenForo.

View attachment 106583

ES also provides much better search results than MySQL does.
I still prefer Sphinx. Much lighter. ES is working on Java and Java is crap overall.

In today's world, you can purchase droplets with 96GB or RAM for very little money, so I can't find a reason doing it, not to mention that SSD drives are decreasing their write/read speeds when you abuse them (and whatever you're offering is kind of an abuse for an SSD).
Please tell me who sells VMs with 96GB of ram for less than $20 per month. Because that 20 USD per month is what a 2gb VM costs from Linode.

And SSD's write limits are basically non-factors given how often the VM/host is replaced. The predominate aspect of SSDs is they actually can handle more than 1 operation at once, and handle parallel workloads well.

Top Bottom