XF 1.2 My first upgrade

LuvMeSumZen

I am attempting to perform my first xF upgrade and want to be sure I don't screw up. In the help section tutorial it tells me to drag the contents of the Upload file and overwrite my existing Xenforo files. Will I drag the 4 subfolders and the 9 files as bracketed in red to the public_html or just the 4 sub folders as bracketed in blue? The reason I ask is because the instructions specifically mention the subfolders but not the files themselves . . .

Upgrade.webp

And is public_html the correct place, or is there there a more specific folder within it that I need to drag the folders/files? Because the instructions tell me to Upload the contents of this directory to your server, over top of your existing XenForo files. And I did find a file named Xenforo in the the library ....

Upgrade2.webp

In the 1st photo, everything in the read.

You will not need to do anything extra in terms of upload, because your FTP program will merge everything... ie... If you upload everything in the 1st photo, all sub folder and files will be uploaded as well.

edit: oman snipe`ed me. lol

FYI to all - my DB hit its limit while doing that backup and shut down not only my site but my cpanel. I had to call arvixe and they were able to delete 2 old backups off my DB and that allowed me to get back down to 62% usage. For some weird reason, cpanel never lets me download a backup to my computer - it always says "download failed" so I have been keeping them on my server. They take up a TON of room obviously. I have to find a solution but I thought I'd share this even though it's a bit off topic - making a backup is important but having a good backup plan and knowing how much room is on your DB is also important even if you aren't saving your backups to your server.

FYI to all - my DB hit its limit while doing that backup and shut down not only my site but my cpanel. I had to call arvixe and they were able to delete 2 old backups off my DB and that allowed me to get back down to 62% usage. For some weird reason, cpanel never lets me download a backup to my computer - it always says "download failed" so I have been keeping them on my server. They take up a TON of room obviously. I have to find a solution but I thought I'd share this even though it's a bit off topic - making a backup is important but having a good backup plan and knowing how much room is on your DB is also important even if you aren't saving your backups to your server.
cPanel makes for a poor tool to download a database. I would suggest using ssh to have it back up. Most host, even shared host allow you to use ssh for limit things such as making a database backup. If you don't know how to use ssh or if your host does not allow it, you can always try phpMyAdmin to do a back. It's still better than cPanel.

Now if you can't do any of the above, you should contact your host, request they do it, and you should seriously look into finding a better one.

I have done it using phpmyadmin but I am looking for an automated service. I'm looking at services such as myrepono and backomatic etc. but I have just started looking into them so I know very little about it. I don't know much about ssh but I think my host uses it because when everything was locked up I heard him murmer something about him needing to get ssh access. You're right cpanel sucks for backups. I don't even like t for phpmyadmn for various reasons number one being I need automated backup.

cPanel makes for a poor tool to download a database. I would suggest using ssh to have it back up. Most host, even shared host allow you to use ssh for limit things such as making a database backup. If you don't know how to use ssh or if your host does not allow it, you can always try phpMyAdmin to do a back. It's still better than cPanel.

Now if you can't do any of the above, you should contact your host, request they do it, and you should seriously look into finding a better one.

Indeed, cpanel are not reliable for backups of medium size/large databases due to their file size limit restrictions.

Best Program i know, if you dont know how to do it with Linux Commands, is mysqldumper
Easy to install and doing, in a more simple way, whats its done for.
As far as i know cPanel also offers an automated backup service?!

Top Bottom