My add-ons and my retirement

Effective at the end of this month, I will be retiring.

For those that don't know, I'm in my mid 60's and I made this decision after some long thought about what the result would be if something unexpected should happen to me. I have to be realistic about the fact that the time I have left is far less than the time I've been on earth.

So, I've decided to pass my add-ons on to the most capable hands of Ozzy47. He will handle support and updates for all of my add-ons.

For now, all of my add-ons will remain on snogssite.com, but Ozzy will have full control of them and the site. That should make the transition easier for those that have licenses for my premium add-ons and nothing will change so far as where and how you download them. And they will remain available for purchase there. I will also remain available to Ozzy in the event he has any questions.

I will also respond to questions asked directly to me until the end of the month. After that, all questions should be asked to Ozzy.

With that I'd like to thank everyone, and say that it's been an honor and privilege to have served the XF and vB communities for all these years.
It's members and developers like you who make this a much richer and more productive community and forum platform.
Many thanks for your addons and enjoy your retirement.

Congratulations on your retirement @Snog
I did panic for a moment when I saw the thread title - your private threads add-on is such a huge hit on my site I wouldn't know what to do without it! Glad that your add-ons are now in the capable hands of @ozzy47 rather then just being removed!

Sorry to see you go @Snog but thank you for providing excellent add-ons which have powered my own sites and many other people's sites. First class work and support, always. One of only two developers I can truly say it has always been a pleasure to deal with (Bob being the other one).

Good to see Ozzy taking over, hopefully the high standards will continue :)

I've decided to pass my add-ons on to the most capable hands of Ozzy47
Don't think so :(
Based on his recent post here:

Any decisions he makes about the add-ons are entirely up to him.

I can only suggest changes, but ultimately it is up to him.

That's not cool. Why are you dissing @ozzy47? He only has so much time, and he decided (at least for now) not to prioritise any changes to this add-on.

We all make decisions in life, and time is a finite thing. So whether you agree or don't agree with ozzy's decision, that's totally NOT cool to bag on him just because he made a decision. Ozzy is an extremely active contributor here and has done far more than most for the XF community.

There are alternative solutions to this geolocation provider issue out there on the country flags and geo-blocked registration, by very reputable add-on developers. Instead of insulting ozzy, why don't you support the developers who are providing workable solutions? They may not be free, but at least they are providing credible add-ons that work as advertised.

Don't bite the hand(s) that feed you, man.

Then I suggest you to remove any of my free addons from your sites that you may be using.

That's not cool. Why are you dissing @ozzy47? He only has so much time, and he decided (at least for now) not to prioritise any changes to this add-on.

We all make decisions in life, and time is a finite thing.... Ozzy is an extremely active contributor here and has done far more than most for the XF community. Don't bite the hand(s) that feed you, man.
Yours was such a good reply Gerry I really saw no need to chime in, but just to clarify some things and get it off my chest, I will.

I've been closely associated with ozzy for 9 years now. He's not in this for money or for any other reason than providing "quality of life" mods and addons for fellow forumasters. He does this in his spare time while holding down a demanding full time real job and being a single father. He does this with all that comes along with it including the pain in the ass some of it is. As the years have gone by the amount of PITA and aggravation he'll tolerate has diminished relative to what all he takes on. This is perfectly natural and reasonable. I was admonishing him for at least three years that he needs to charge something for his talent, time and aggravation, on certain products he produces. He came grudgingly, to the same conclusion himself but his focus has not changed. Improve the quality of life for forumasters and forum users. That's the sole mission of OzzModz and now that he's taken it over, Snogssite. And always was.

Like me he doesn't like anything that depends on the vagaries of third party databases or scripts. These can suddenly change, causing breakage and headaches and BS. He knows we have to live with those at times but we also don't have to be a slave to them. Third party dependency causing problems? Protect the marketplace by pulling the addon for new installs. Then as time allows, adjust the addon and release an update.

There's nothing unreliable or unreasonable about that. In fact it's just the opposite.

One thing I will say, and I hope nobody takes this badly...

Don't expect the same level of support from @ozzy47 that I was giving. My situation has always been much different than just about every other developer here. I own my own business and was here literally 12 hours a day, able to drop what I was doing to support my add-ons. That gave near instantaneous support for most problems. Don't expect that from anyone else. It just isn't possible for most people to do that.

When I've been able to, I've helped @ozzy47 out with code changes. But at some point that will stop too. I don't want to be a crutch for Ozzy where I fix everything. Thus why, in the case of the two mods listed above, I haven't done anything with them for him. He has to stand on his own at some point, and I have every bit of confidence that he will. If I didn't have that confidence in him and his abilities, I wouldn't have given my add-ons to him.

Top Bottom