Multiple thread prefixes

@Brogan That was a good two years ago and I'd say the software has changed quite a bit since then. It's redundant depending on how you use it. The example in my original post isn't really redundant. I can see realistic uses for it, and also rather idiotic uses for it. That goes with everything though, I can say the same about smilies, alignment, polls, etc. Because it depends on their use entirely.

I agree, I have often wanted multiple prefixes on my own site.

I was just posting a link in which one of the developers dismissed the idea.
This is something like the tenth time it has been suggested.

I am also looking for "Multiple Prefixes".

For better readability of the Thread-Title itself, I think it would be great to have the ability to change the position of Prefixes towards the right-hand-side of the title:

multiple_prefixes_mockup.webp

Example:
Create Thread with "Multiple Prefixes":

multiple_prefixes_create_thread.webp

:cool:

Last edited:

For better readability of the Thread-Title itself, I think it would be great to have the ability to change the position of Prefixes towards the right-hand-side of the title:

View attachment 95447

I prefer them where they are currently. Much better in terms of readability as I can see at a glance what the thread is about without having to read the thread title. If prefixes were to the right of thread titles, I'd have to fumble about looking for the end of the title to see the prefix just to get an idea about what the thread is about.

Does that make sense?

View attachment 95447

There's nothing to stop you from posting this in the customisations forums and asking for some assistance in doing this. You can just move the prefix check code down in the thread_list_item template.

Given limited developer resources, I think it would be better to leave this as an addon and implement thread tagging in the core. With thread tagging, you can apply as many categories as you want to a given thread and it won't clutter up the title of the thread.

Some forums, like the OP's, may have a bona fide reason to need multiple prefixes in front of their thread titles, and for people like them, @Daniel Hood's addon should work well. However, as Kier observed, this may be niche. My personal opinion is that it would be quite horrid, introducing visual clutter on an interface that is otherwise quite beautiful. It could also present hurdles for tiny mobile screens.

IMHO, the natural place for multiple categorizations would be tags, either at the top of a thread display or at the bottom:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/thread-tagging.374/
This would also integrate well with the Resource Manager, Media Library, and Addons.

Given limited developer resources, I think it would be better to leave this as an addon and implement thread tagging in the core. With thread tagging, you can apply as many categories as you want to a given thread and it won't clutter up the title of the thread.

Some forums, like the OP's, may have a bona fide reason to need multiple prefixes in front of their thread titles, and for people like them, @Daniel Hood's addon should work well. However, as Kier observed, this may be niche. My personal opinion is that it would be quite horrid, introducing visual clutter on an interface that is otherwise quite beautiful. It could also present hurdles for tiny mobile screens.

IMHO, the natural place for multiple categorizations would be tags, either at the top of a thread display or at the bottom:
This would also integrate well with the Resource Manager, Media Library, and Addons.

it would be great to have both:

- Multiple Prefixes
- Keyword Tags (similar to this one: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tinhte-xentag.770/)

- "Multiple Prefixes" would be setup by Admin in order to have a certain "Forum Structure" and filterability of threads containing the same (one or more) Prefixes.
- "Keyword Tags" would be used by Members in order to better define the thread-post itself and for having interlinking of different threads.

:)

Tagging isn't what I'm suggesting at all. XenForo isn't a CMS or something, tagging is more clutter than multiple prefixes will ever be, and much more niche. There are lots of reasons why you will need more than one prefix, it's not a niche thing at all. You might as well say having a prefix is a niche thing. I don't know how it can be fine singularly, but any more and it becomes niche? That's like saying a calendar is great but multiple calendars is niche specific. A lot of things in the core are used differently in different niches, doesn't make them niche specific. The resource manager has so many uses that weren't really what it was made for, but it's used for specific niches differently.

Support forums I've already given an example. Gaming you might want to have Call of Duty and narrow it down to Gun Review as well. Sports you might be talking about a certain team and a certain event. Bulls | Transfers (for the record I don't think a team Bull exists and is known, it's meant to be fictional). Cars you're talking about a certain model and a certain aspect. A forum called HELP ME with a car being a Ferrari, model 385883, engine.

I would love multiple prefixes in the core of Xenforo. But IMHO it is only useful if you can select and filter on one or multiple prefixes.

This would be fantastic. Being able to apply multiple prefixes would allow me to get rid of even more nodes. If you're running, say, a book or music or gaming site dealing with lots of genres and subgenres, multiple prefixes would sure come in handy. I know Xon has developed an addon for this, which looks great, but if he ever decided to stop updating it, or couldn't for whatever reason, I don't want to possibly be left stranded with thousands of threads no longer displaying those additional prefixes, requiring me to try to sort them all back into their old nodes. Hence why I think it would be soooo much better to have this in the core. Pretty please? :)

Top Bottom