Lack of interest Multiple Prefixes per Thread

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I support the idea of multiple prefixes regardless of this post:

I think that multiple prefixes are a bit of a misnomer. If we were to implement a way to add multiple categorisations for threads, it would be in the form of a tagging system rather than multiple prefixes, which I believe would involve an overly complex user interface.

Yes, prefixes can be used like tags and vice versa. This is what IP Board is doing and I hate it. Because you can also use prefixes and tags independent from each other. My site will depend heavily on news with different categories, not just user content. I don't want to create 7 forums for separate discussion threads in different categories. I want only ONE forum where I post all the discussion topics to the main news articles (Wordpress) and then assign them categories via prefixes. My news won't be just single category news, but multi-category news, which means I have a problem if I can assign them one prefix only. You probably want now to argue that I could as well drop prefixes entirely and use tags. I will tell you why this is a bad idea:

Prefixes are meant for the most important upper categories/root categories while tags are meant for less important categories. Lets say I write a news about XenForo and vBulletin. I would assign the prefixes this way:

multiprefix.webp

Users then know immediately that it's a news about XenForo and vBulletin. Since it's also a news about Mister X, Add-Ons and coding (which are less important than the XenForo/vBulletin categories), I would assign them the following tags:

tags.webp

You see multiple prefixes and tags can cleary exist with each other.

Wow... this is hilarious. Was looking for vBulletin multiple prefixes and this thread was the #1 position on Google, LOL!!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with Kier. Multiple prefixes is a misnomer. The more appropriate term would be a taxonomy system to classify threads using different criteria in addition to the prefix. I am hoping to build that for our new Xenforo site.

Top Bottom