XF 1.2 Multiple clicks needed to post a reply (responsive/mobile)

Wildcat Media

Having an issue with the responsive view or, perhaps more correctly, using the forum from a mobile view. When I go to post a reply, it usually takes at least two, three or even four "taps" of the Post Reply button before the post will finally appear in the thread.

When the button is first tapped, the three buttons (Post, Upload, Cancel) lose focus and are greyed out. After a few seconds, the Post button remains yellow, the other two reappear, and I have to tap Post again...and often, one or two more additional times. This happens on our big board as well as our private test forum on the same server. On a friend's installation, just this morning, I had the same issue. I know our big board can often be busy and some actions might take an additional couple of seconds if we're really slammed. But my friend's forum is very low traffic (but I believe he is on a shared server).

Did not yet report this as a bug, but if others have seen it and it can be duplicated, perhaps it is a bug and should be moved there. At any rate, on our big board, it is one more issue they are likely complaining about.

OK, it's not just me, then. Do you find you have to wait maybe five seconds or so for the buttons to return, so you can tap again?

Wonder if this should be reported as a bug...

If they go grey, that's actually it being submitted to the server. (There should be the activity indicator in the upper right.) I don't think there's any other way to trigger that.

It's not something I've noticed off hand, though I haven't actually posted from my tablet/phone that many times.

I do get the activity indicator--it usually stays up there in the corner even after tapping the button once or twice. If I just let it sit there for five minutes or so (after the first and subsequent taps if needed), the message never posts.

Also, I've noticed the activity indicator stays in place (and is animated) after the post is finally submitted properly.

Not sure if these are clues to anything useful, but thought I'd throw the idea out here. :)

That may be an indication of a JS error (or a network connectivity issue). The default timeout is 30 seconds, so it should go away after that (and trigger an error) which makes me think there's actually a JS error happening.

I agree--I did get a JavaScript error message via XF when I visited via mobile on another XF 1.2 forum ("The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console), but our big board hasn't triggered one. Is there any way to capture the error, or any log we could forward to you which you could look at? It might help us figure out if it is indeed a server configuration issue or something else going on. JS isn't my forté, unfortunately, and it's harder to access any troubleshooting tools on a mobile device.

Is it something you've seen here?

Unfortunately it will be a pain to debug unless you can reproduce it in Chrome (Android) or Safari (iOS) to get a desktop debug environment up.

I could only guess that it's add-on related. There may well be info in the server error log in the admin CP but if not, we'd need to see the console (or network) output.

I will visit here later and see if I have the same problem. We have a handful of add-ons on the big board, but the other forum I've witnessed this problem on only has two add-ons running.

I'll report back if I see the error here. Thanks much for checking into it!

Top Bottom