1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Designed multiple choice select boxes don't go full width

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Jake B., Aug 10, 2015.

1. Jake B.

Jake B. Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was intentionaly, but by looking at the CSS that causes it I don't think it is. If you create a select box that allows multiple selections using <xen:selectunit multiple="true"> it adds a size="5" so it will show 5 options which normally wouldn't be a problem. However, that triggers the following CSS:

Code:
    .xenForm .ctrlUnit > dd .textCtrl[size],
    .xenForm .ctrlUnit > dd .textCtrl.autoSize {
        width: auto !important;
        min-width: 0;
    }

I assume this is so the width will work if you have a textCtrl and set a size on it inline, but I don't think that should apply to setting a size on a select input.

If this doesn't make sense I can probably explain it better, just in the middle of working on something and came across this :)

Jake

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's a bit of a bad design decision, but it is mostly expected at this point. It's something that wouldn't be changed given the wide ranging implications.

You could note that with a multi-select box, a large multi row box could look oppressive, but that's probably being revisionist. ;)