Multi site/forum

Tsugaga

Basically I want to know if it's possible to create one site with multiple sub sites, or if you can have more than one forum. I don't want to do this with categories or anything, I want actual separate forums.

I am creating a site for many different things and prefer all these things on 1 mega site rather than multiple separate sites with separate communities, not to mention needing 1 license per site xD

Er well overpriced in that aspect, anything which is the same is imo. I want a site with multiple forums, I feel like paying for a license per forum is overpriced after the first license. I understand if it was a completely separate site but it's just extra forums. One license per forum is just kid of ridiculous from my point since I wanted 10-15 of them.

You receive a discount as you purchase more licenses. Once you purchase 3, the 4th is 10.00 less etc, I'm unsure what the next level is to receive further off, but I know it goes all the way to 110.00 at some point.

If you have 15 computers and you want to install the same software application on each one: you need to purchase 15 licenses. It's the same thing and vBulletin and IPB would be the same. You would need one license per forum installation.

But it's your choice to implement it like that. If the cost is too steep, then you should perhaps consider keeping it as a single install and find ways to artifically segregate it so it appears as multiple sites.

You can do things such as have different styles for different forums.

I thought what you pay for is like... the entire XF site with each license? I just want extra forums. The forum bit is just topics sorted into categories, I don't see why having extra forums requires a completely separate license.

1 license = 1 installation
Not asking for a whole separate installation, just the ability to have separated forums o.o This should be more of an add-on than anything. I'm not asking for a whole separate site, just... divided forums. Who the heck would pay for another license just to have the option to have multiple forums on their xf site o.0

Try one forum
with multiple subforums.
why would you want to admin 15 forums vs. one ?
Because the parent/child forum system in XF sucks. I feel the actual forum part of XF lacks customization the most.

I am creating a site for many different things and prefer all these things on 1 mega site
Can you show me another example (not your site) of what you want to accomplish ?
Your idea doesn't sound well planned.

What were the URLs going to be like ?

www.mysite.com/PrOn/forum
www.mysite.com/WonderPets/forum
www.mysite.com/football/forum

Planning to launch a 15 forum mega site sounds like a sketchy plan.
You might focus on one forum to start.
Expand into Wonderpets later.

The license terms and the FAQ links in my signature cover what can and can't be done with a single license.

XenForo is not unique in this.

Can you show me another example (not your site) of what you want to accomplish ?
Your idea doesn't sound well planned.

What were the URLs going to be like ?

www.mysite.com/PrOn/forum
www.mysite.com/WonderPets/forum
www.mysite.com/football/forum

Planning to launch a 15 forum mega site sounds like a sketchy plan.
You might focus on one forum to start.
Expand into Wonderpets later.
Yeah like this pretty much. It's use, difficulty, reason, etc is all irrelevant though.

I still haven't got a clue what you're trying to accomplish.
You know how the forum usually is, list of categories, sub categories, and topics? I just want more than one of this. PageA has forumA, PageB has ForumB and so on. The reason I prefer this is because you can't have main forums as sub forums.

Instead of a separate forum on each page I wish I could make parent categories that go into sub parent categories I guess.

Code:
FORUM
 Main1
  section1
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
  section2
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
  section3
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
Main2
  section1
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
  section2
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
  section3
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
Main3
  section1
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
  section2
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3
  section3
    topic1
    topic2
    topic3

Your structure seems like Category -> Forum 1 -> sub-forum, so as Ernest has stated, you'll need one license. The way you describe it above is that you want Main 1 to share a member base with Main 2 but act completely separate. This type of system requires multiple licenses.

Top Bottom