mp3 or ogg?

I use these audio formats on my webpages...

• mp3

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • ogg

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • both

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • niether

• Whatever format contains the sound I want

• I don't care

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • What's a vibration?

• Total voters

EQnoble

I was just wondering how important ogg playback would be to your average forum admin. I myself (can be wrong here) believe that people use and favor mp3 playback for their webpages but honestly it has been my impression that most people don't have one song in ogg format. I am not against the ogg container but seeing in my personal experience that it is not as widely used I have to come to a decision.

I was making an audio playback addon and I realized that the way I was trying to implement it was just too beefy. I had the bbcode accepting and ogg and an mp3 where if one wasn't available it would fallback to the other...however the way the player is constructed...I would need to refactor the whole thing + styling in order to use it. I am thinking of just updating another mod to include mp3 playback which is what I think I should have done a while ago.

My real question is this...is anyone going to be bummed if the two formats aren't useable in the same bbcode tag?

My logic is....I can make a html5 bbcode just for ogg as I cannot include it in my choice of player (flowplayer) as far as as I know but as I stated above it is not a problem for me to use [mp3][/mp3] and [ogg][/ogg] respectively.

Would it be a problem for you to use it this way?

This is one player roughed in to see how it would function as a bbcode (mp3)
http://xenxero.com/threads/emmm-pee-three.28/

Please just answer the poll here if what you do fits an answer, only post if you have something that doesn't fit one of the answers or if you have a problem with two different codes and why and we can blend on those thoughts.

This will help me make my decision faster which I need to do as I am behind on like 4 things that I said I was going to do.

Thanks

Top Bottom