Moving XF to the root

ibenick

I'm strongly considering moving my install of XenForo to the root of my site. When I first set it up, the forum was an added feature, but since then it has completely taken over and become the site. So now I'm kind of wishing I didn't have the /forum in all of my URLs.

I know how to change it I think. Move the files and then change URL in the ACP. Or can it be done with just mod rewrite and leave the files in the folder? Not sure exactly how to make sure all of the forwarding from /forum to the root happens for every thread but I imagine that isn't too difficult. What I'm wondering is if there is anything else I am missing. Things I should be aware of to keep from damaging my rank in Google which has been accelerating upward the last couple of months.

Any tips and advice is much appreciated.

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/ change to--> http://backcountrypost.com

Move the file to where roots usually is "read" from. Re-name that file to work with the root address.

Before you do that, though, re-name or delete the root file of the website in question. If you want to simply remove the old files, delete it, but if you want to keep the file for future use, rename it.

Move the file to where roots usually is "read" from. Re-name that file to work with the root address.

Before you do that, though, re-name or delete the root file of the website in question. If you want to simply remove the old files, delete it, but if you want to keep the file for future use, rename it.

thinking2.png

That is the most confusing thing I have ever read.

Brogan's solution is correct. I'm not sure you understood the problem.

That is the most confusing thing I have ever read.
Not confusing if you have something like Cpanel where linking a domain name to your root file is a snap.

You don't have to do anything else, just move the "community" file to "public html" [or WWW] then rename it. Done.

The second sentence is a matter of swapping the old homepage, to xenforo.

Top Bottom