XF 1.3 Moving server: An unexpected error occurred.

TheLaw

I've tried everything that I know and cannot seem to avoid this message after simply moving from one server to the next - this is what I get using index.php on the site.

An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.

I followed the directions, which are actually even easier than moving many other sites. I tried to use the install directory, just to see if it would pop up with errors. It did.

File "Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php" does not exist or class "Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli" was not found in the file

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. I have just installed another XF site on the same server and it worked flawlessly. On this site I noticed that it had caching enable so I simply deleted the references in the config file to caching (Memcache) and figured it would work without memcache. Unfortunately I'm out of options as the error log shows no errors except for people trying to access the site and getting the same error. I have a lot of "File does not exist" errors which go to 404.shtml but that's understandable if nobody can reach the pages they are supposed to reach.

Hoping others can lend some insight.

Last edited:
Tried to replace the data with a fresh copy. Now it's a 500 error, nothing in the log. Tried to do an upgrade, just to see if it would work. Instead, received these errors, which leave nothing in the log file:

Server Error
unserialize() [<a href='function.unserialize'>function.unserialize</a>]: Error at offset 1228 of 13420 bytes

1. XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
  2. unserialize() in XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php at line 42
  3. XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->get() in XenForo/Application.php at line 730
  4. XenForo_Application->loadOptions()
  5. call_user_func_array() in XenForo/Application.php at line 922
  6. XenForo_Application->lazyLoad() in XenForo/Application.php at line 953
  7. XenForo_Application::get() in XenForo/Model/User.php at line 938
  8. XenForo_Model_User->getVisitingGuestUser() in XenForo/Visitor.php at line 419
  9. XenForo_Visitor::setup() in XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 50
  10. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->_setupSession() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 304
  11. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 346
  12. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
  13. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/aquaspce/public_html/install/index.php at line 18

Are you sure all the same php modules are installed on the new server that was on the old server? Is this a shared hosting provider or an actual VPS/dedicated server instead of a new host?
In addition to deleting removing the caching options, did you also disable those options that depend upon caching in the performance area of the ACP?

Last edited:
Hey Andy, good to see you. I was given an entire sitedump in a tarball. The dump looks intact as the EOF is valid. The import is clean. I uploaded all the files, changed the config parameters, removed the bottom half related to memcaching and now just get 500 errors which don't register anything in the log.

Are you sure all the same php modules are installed on the new server that was on the old server? Is this a shared hosting provider or an actual VPS/dedicated server instead of a new host?
In addition to deleting removing the caching options, did you also disable those options that depend upon caching in the performance area of the ACP?
Tracy - thanks for your reply. This is a dedicated server so I have access to everything.

I can't even get into the ACP. I uploaded everything from the old server to the new. I don't know what may have been enabled in the performance area of the ACP and would assume that, if not present, they would fall back to default.

Memcache isn't running, not using it on this server. Thus I removed the entries from the config file. Again, would think that there would be a fallback. Is there any way to disable everything in the config file? This is a large amount of data (about 1GB in data, media, etc.) and unfortunately has been down completely for a while because of this. Would like to get it at least running without any add-ons, extensions, etc. What's odd is that this error doesn't even show anything meaningful in the log files.

Apparently I've done that:

#$config['enableListeners'] = false;
#$config['debug'] = 1;
#ini_set('display_errors', true);

Now I'm getting a blank page with nothing loading.

The only info I can add is that it used to be on a droplet at Digital Ocean. Now it's on a cpanel server, which shouldn't make a difference.

Andy - I know that XF works properly because I installed a copy on another domain. This is 1.3.1, which still should work just fine. The install I made was of 1.3.2. I checked the server requirements on the domain - which is a duplicate of every other account, of course, and that worked. The install worked flawlessly.

I've never had trouble moving a forum from one server to the next like this. XF seems to have a lot more moving parts and with some config elements in serialized format (from what I understand), I'm not sure what one can do if you can't even get into the admincp. Will try this once more using a different FTP mode. Thanks for the help guys.

And it finally works. I'm not sure what it was, maybe one corrupt file. Now the question becomes how to move it to a new domain... is this something that can be accomplished easily? I've read the instructions and it should work but, again, I worry about this stuff happening without any indications or error messages. Thanks again.

I was using Filezilla and WinSCP. I love the latter, especially how easy it is to edit and upload but it can be darn slow and cause problems occasionally. Filezilla is like lightning. What I can't understand is why some of the graphics work on the desktop but not online. If I save the images again and then upload them, they work. Go figure.

I stopped using Filezilla a long time ago - more often than not it would cause errors.

Since I switched to WinSCP I haven't had a single problem and I have done a *lot* of installs and upgrades.

Sometimes there are hiccups with modes, e.g. active and passive, auto vs. binary mode, etc. Can't remember specifically but it happens rarely. What gets me with WinSCP, even though it is my favorite to edit, is the slowness. It is noticeably slower than many other FTP clients and it has been this way for some time if you do a Google search. Same goes for deleting files off the server as well. Do you not have the same lagging response?

Top Bottom