Moving from vBulletin to XenForo - PreSale Questions <10Qs>

Monarch

I am currently using vBulletin and my members keep asking me to move to XenForo without much reasons therefore, decided to come to the site itself and ask a few pre-sale questions. As I am impressed with the layout already and tons of JQuery effects.

Currently looking forward to your answer :)

Please answer the following questions :

1. Whats so good about XenForo? Any advantages from other forum softwares?

2. Is there a plugin site? If so, please provide a link.

3. Can you make the subforums appear in the 'forumhome' page? Instead of hovering over the 'subforum' ?

4. Can you connect with facebook? Or any other additional sites like connect with Google, etc. <very cool to have if not implemented yet.>

5. Any bugs?

6. What are some things that will be implemented in the future?

7. Any promotion codes or discounts?

8. Easy to receive support? Fast support or ticket system?

9. Is it easy to manage and change the CSS and HTML codes in the forum so I will be able to create my own templates for it? And add additional features.

10. Anything important for me to know? Important advantages about XenForo?

Currently vBulletin is getting extremely old and I do not like how vBulletin 4 looks like at all, what got me interested in XenForo is the amount of people that recommended it to me.

I am currently using vBulletin and my members keep asking me to move to XenForo without much reasons therefore, decided to come to the site itself and ask a few pre-sale questions. As I am impressed with the layout already and tons of JQuery effects.

Currently looking forward to your answer

Please answer the following questions :

1. Whats so good about XenForo? Any advantages from other forum softwares?

2. Is there a plugin site? If so, please provide a link.

3. Can you make the subforums appear in the 'forumhome' page? Instead of hovering over the 'subforum' ?

4. Can you connect with facebook? Or any other additional sites like connect with Google, etc. <very cool to have if not implemented yet.>

5. Any bugs?

6. What are some things that will be implemented in the future?

7. Any promotion codes or discounts?

8. Easy to receive support? Fast support or ticket system?

9. Is it easy to manage and change the CSS and HTML codes in the forum so I will be able to create my own templates for it? And add additional features.

10. Anything important for me to know? Important advantages about XenForo?

Currently vBulletin is getting extremely old and I do not like how vBulletin 4 looks like at all, what got me interested in XenForo is the amount of people that recommended it to me.

1. The best way to find if there is any advantage (For you) is to use this site a little bit, and to play with the demo. I honestly prefer this to other platforms because of how easy styling is and how everything supports an active community, which I found lacking with vBulletin.

2. XenForo.com is the site for modifications and styles as well as support. They are planning a modification system for more organization.

3. Jaxel wrote a tutorial on displaying subforums in a grid. You can see an example here (http://anime.overflow636.com).

4. There is Facebook and Twitter integration currently, not sure whether or not they're adding more.

5. Bugs are dealt with fairly quickly, and most of the bugs are minor.

6. An Ignore feature is planned, as well as prefixes. There are probably a few other things but I can't remember off hand.

7. As far as I know, there will probably not be any discounts or promotions for a while (If at all).

8. You can either post on the forums for support which generally is answered by Brogan (Or developers if they're required). You can also send in a ticket and the longest I had to wait for support was a few hours, and that was because of the difference in time zones.

9. The CSS for XenForo is the simplest I've ever used. The template system is also very easy to use and much better than the competition (A lot of the designers here were well known on IPB or vBulletin for their work).

10. Everything ;).

I think you'll also find there are a growing number of ex-vBulletin users here, mostly from older days and some from the past year or so. ;)

Currently all add-ons are here: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/add-on-releases.32/
Like Forsaken mentioned above, there will be a more formal system to support them properly in the future. I don't think even Kier or Mike expected add-ons to explode the way they have.

Otherwise, XenForo is definitely a stable, modern platform that is a joy to work with from all sides (developers, designers, users, and administrators).

Monarch only you can decide what's the best solution for your community. Comparing forum software is like comparing cars in the same price bracket: They all have good points, they all have faults, they all have happy customers, and they are ALL good at what they do. My advice is to spend some time here as an end user and see what you think - because that's the important thing. Not a checklist of this and that, but how does it all feel? Your community members won't care about anything else.

Oh yeah sorry for the double post, I wanted to also ask if you can use XenForo for anything you want right? Anime, a little bit of adult content, video games, entertainment etc?
Also, if XenForo loses in court what will happen to their customers? I have just checked the news about Jelsoft trying to sue XenForo. Will we get refunds or can we still continue using XenForo?

The forum content is up to the site owner, taking into account section 3 of the License agreement: http://xenforo.com/license-agreement
For the avoidance of doubt, You are solely responsible for managing content posted using your installation of the Software (“Your Content”). XenForo Limited shall have no liability in respect of Your Content including but not limited to its accuracy or lawfulness.

You are solely responsible for ensuring that Your Content and Your use of the Software complies with all applicable legislation and regulations, including but not limited to all applicable Data Protection and Privacy legislation. You undertake to ensure that the Software is not used by You or others to engage in illegal activity. You may not use the software to engage in any activity that would violate the rights of third parties. You hereby agree to indemnify Us from any loss or damage arising from Your breach of this provision.

As for the ongoing case, no-one can give you an answer on that, it's impossible to predict the future.

Oh yeah sorry for the double post, I wanted to also ask if you can use XenForo for anything you want right? Anime, a little bit of adult content, video games, entertainment etc?
no limitation.
Also, if XenForo loses in court what will happen to their customers? I have just checked the news about Jelsoft trying to sue XenForo. Will we get refunds or can we still continue using XenForo?
If xenForo goes away, 我是起thesoftwareindefinately.

Top Bottom