Moving / Combining Nav Tabs

key

I'm using a fixed width forum (960px) and the Nodes as Tabs Addon to replicate the menu of my main site. So navigation space is limited. I'm hoping someone has some suggestions for two things:
  • I'd like to combine Alerts and Inbox to a single Tab (really, move Inbox into Alerts, and have it flag when I have either an alert or an Inbox message).
  • I'd like to move the Members and Help Tabs from next to Forums to in between Alerts and Log Out.
I'm guessing the first one is rather hard and the second rather easy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Key

The easiest way to free up tab space is to reduce the padding on the tabs:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs.26687/page-3#post-335561

Or you can hide tabs when they are not selected:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/move-menu-items.20654/#post-263851

Otherwise template edits are required to move those tabs:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates
> navigation
> navigation_visitor_tab

And consolidating the Inbox and Alerts tabs requires much more effort in terms of code. Actually an addon is required so that one request fetches records for both menus. I personally wouldn't go there.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Inbox and Alerts. It is a sort of tricky problem....

And ideas for moving Members and Help, without actually hiding them? I don't actually want to hide those, just move them to the other tabs that relate to the Forum.

So I want to go from this:
7919237872_a7040c5162_b.jpg

To this:
7919237914_e9f4f6f0b5_b.jpg

On the main part of my site (when people click Home) visitors will only see Home Videos Contact Forums

Then when they go to the Forums section, they'll get all the other menu items, but they'll be grouped together on the right.

Thanks!

You will need to edit these templates:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates
> navigation
> navigation_visitor_tab

Move the code for those two tabs from navigation to navigation_visitor_tab.

Top Bottom