Movie Talk Zone

Just an update:

While the site isn't growing as quickly as I hoped I am still going to continue going forward with the site and in time will reorganize things a bit. One new feature I have is a custom coded addon used as my home page so come check it out and let me know what you think about it. Waiting on the addon creator to make one small tweak to it and it will be perfect. You can view the new home page (portal) by going to https://www.movietalk.zone

dislike the jquery front page. makes it look extremely gimmicky. ******* uses the same jquery to showcase his products and themes, and is done much better because it fits in well with a storefront...for a forum though? Im sure others will like it. Its one of those things that looks nice and neat the first time u see it. After the 10th time it becomes annoying as hell.

TBH i believe you should be concentrating on content, getting more members, than frontpages like that. I have never known a member to sign on and start discussing things because of a frontpage. If you want to add custom stuff, make it fit a need that your viewers might have.

Just an update after some down time due to not having much time I have reopened MovieTalk. I have taken the suggestions and broken the movies down by genre so each genre has a subforum for posting the movie in based on that genre same with TV shows they are broken down into the network that shows the tv show.

Also had a custom addon created where if you have watched a particular movie or tv show you can click the Mark as Watched button and it will mark it as watched and will show a list in the thread similar to what it looks like when someone likes a post.

Over all the site is pretty nice. I do like how it flows. I personally like the floating menu bar at the top. For some reason I always like those. I'm not sure why either. Keep it up though. It will get where you want it to be soon enough.

Looking good. :) Nice to see you got rid of that interactive homepage.

Perhaps add some custom node icons, a favicon and brand that "Welcome to Our Community" block on the top (or possible remove it altogether, having two "Sign Up" buttons on the home page seems a bit redundant)

I noticed you have a LOT of social sharing buttons below each post:
social-buttons.webp
Personal opinion - may be worthwhile getting rid of some of those or all of them depending on your preference.

so many subforums...especially for a new site. Why does basically every new forum make this mistake?

why cant you simply use prefixes? Think from a user experience point of view. What do you think a possible member will do after clicking a few genre subforums and finding them empty? Yep, the 'get me hell out of this abandoned place' button. If you dont have atleast 10-15 threads in a forum/subforum, then it should not exist. Yes i dont count scraped content with no actual personal content as a post. Why should i come to a site to find content when i can goto the place where the information has been copied off.

content is king. no automated scraping software is going to make your information any different to where its from.

Looking good. :) Nice to see you got rid of that interactive homepage.

Perhaps add some custom node icons, a favicon and brand that "Welcome to Our Community" block on the top (or possible remove it altogether, having two "Sign Up" buttons on the home page seems a bit redundant)

I noticed you have a LOT of social sharing buttons below each post:
View attachment 99848
Personal opinion - may be worthwhile getting rid of some of those or all of them depending on your preference.

Will reduce the amount of sharing buttons. I simply forgot to do that. Also on the Welcome to Our Community block I meant to turn that off. Again will sort this out. Working on a favicon I had forgotten it.....well forgotten is the wrong work.....lazy is more like it. I had one before I decided to start all over again from scratch. As far as custom node icons I remember seeing that in a future version of UI.X they will have the ability for custom node icons for each node. Thanks for all your input.

so many subforums...especially for a new site. Why does basically every new forum make this mistake?

why cant you simply use prefixes? Think from a user experience point of view. What do you think a possible member will do after clicking a few genre subforums and finding them empty? Yep, the 'get me hell out of this abandoned place' button. If you dont have atleast 10-15 threads in a forum/subforum, then it should not exist. Yes i dont count scraped content with no actual personal content as a post. Why should i come to a site to find content when i can goto the place where the information has been copied off.

content is king. no automated scraping software is going to make your information any different to where its from.

I know content is king and I am working on that slowly. Yes movie info is taken from another site using @Snog's addons and right now I am trying to get a nice selection of movies and tv shows posted and then I am going to go back and talk more about them. The reason for all the subforms is before I didn't have them and I kept getting told I needed to separate by genre and network so that's what I did. Prefixes would take forever to do which is why all the subforms. In my mind subforms was better than a bunch of actual forums which would have taken up alot more real estate on the forum home. In time I plan to have more and more posts in each forum. It's such a pain to limit posts to certain forums which is why I am trying to cover all my bases from the beginning. If you remember correctly that on the first version of MT there was only like 6 actual forums which again you said was too many. Thank you again for your comments and if I see that some of the subforums they of course will be removed.

Top Bottom