1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Moved Post To New Topic - Link to post broken?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by ProCom, Oct 21, 2013.

1. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Today was my first experience moving a post to a new topic.
    1. I posted a reply to topic A as post #4
    2. I linked to post #4 from post #5 in topic A
    3. I moved post #4 from topic A into a new topic B
    4. The link to old post #4 no longer directs to new post/topic #4
    With how perfectly everything else is executed on xF I fully expected that moving a post wouldn't impact links to that post.

Did I do something wrong with the way I moved the post or is this a function of using friendly URLs, or something else?

Thanks for help in advance!
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If your post link was from the number, the link is a link into a particular location in the thread. There is nothing to change this. This is usually more user friendly.

If you want to change this to a "posts" link, you could do this by modifying the post template.
  3. ProCom

ProCom Active Member

Thanks Mike! Yes, the post link was from the post #.

I'm too new to xF to know what the pros and cons of making changes to the post template may have, or know how to make the changes, so I think for now I'll leave it as is since this is probably a pretty unique use case... unless there are no cons to making the change and it's relatively easy to do.

4. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Moving posts into another thread is something that is rarely done, so I wouldn't worry much about breaking links.