Move Posts to a Conversation

The Sandman

There are times when two or more members get off on a tangent that threatens to derail a thread. Sure, you can delete the posts and warn the participants, and/or ban them from further replies in the thread - and sometimes that's appropriate. But other times it's too much and can cause unintended consequences with otherwise constructive members.

A slick solution would be the ability to select the posts in question and have them moved into a new PC with the selected post authors as participants and the title "Moved from: " and then title of the original thread An additional option to include the staff member performing the action in the conversation would be peachy as well.

Upvote 25
There are times when two or more members get off on a tangent that threatens to derail a thread. Sure, you can delete the posts and warn the participants, and/or ban them from further replies in the thread - and sometimes that's appropriate. But other times it's too much and can cause unintended consequences with otherwise constructive members.

A slick solution would be the ability to select the posts in question and have them moved into a new PC with the selected post authors as participants and the title "Moved from: " and then title of the original thread An additional option to include the staff member performing the action in the conversation would be peachy as well.
I've been struggling with how to manage influential members for many years and that is the simplest yet most brilliant solution I've heard yet. Hard as I try I don't see a downside here. vs disciplining your constructive members and risking alienating them somehow. I can't count how many times I've had to ask them to take it to a PM, only to be ignored.. I would love to have the ability to do it for them.

and maybe send the participants an alert with a brief note on why their posts were moved?
An alert? Absolutely! :)

No need for a separate note per se though - In my mind that's why I included the option for the staff member moving the posts to be part of the conversation - so he/she can explain to all involved what happened and why. Part of the problem with dealing with issues like this is that they either get overmoderated or dealt with individually which may lead to misunderstandings. Better for everyone to be on exactly the same page so to speak. :D

If not core, definitely add-on. I'd pay the equivalent of a cup of joe or two for it.
I'd prefer to see it in the core - in fact it's something the XenForo.com moderators could probably use.
There are times when two or more members get off on a tangent that threatens to derail a thread.
Now that I think of it, this would work even if it was only one member derailing a thread - select one or more of their posts and move them off to a Conversation with a staff member directly.

Might even be nice to have an option to do the opposite, providing there's nothing private being exposed, of course. That could be useful in some situations. For example, a discussion in a conversation about, say, movies that got going. Starting a thread and having it full of quotes from what User A and User B already discussed would not look so aesthetically pleasing.

Great suggestion. I hope this will be implemented in the core.

Not only because the function is very useful to have, but also so that addons can implement the same function through a XF helper.

My paid add-on Moderator Essentials implements this, there is an XF1 and XF2 version.
Ha... it's your add-on but I invented it. 😛

Works great too. The only issue I've had is that sometimes the members that have posts in the thread that becomes a PC think they're still in the public thread. Perhaps a canned message at the top of the first post in the PC indicating that the conversation has been taken private?

Top Bottom