Move "Post new thread"

Shanj

I keep blundering around not finding Post new thread.
It's great at the bottom of the page on the same line as the pagination.
But at top it's too far away and doesn't intuitively fit with the tabs for different places outside this thread.

I'd like it on the LEFT just before pagination - it feels logical to have making a new addition with the bit where you navigate existing stuff on this thread.

SCR attached..

Attachments

• Xenforo layout.webp
    Xenforo layout.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 1
It is 'neat' design wise yes, I can see that. But a neat design preferably must not get in the way of the usability of a product (just take a look at 'Apple' sometimes...). Putting it near 'watch thread' is already a better option indeed, because then it would not get placed further and further away from the threadtitles when you have lots of subforums. Thanks for thinking along, even if you don't agree with Shanji and mine points. Appreciated!

I do completely agree with you that Form and Function have to be in harmony, and I like your Apple example of how Form often outweighs Function :p

Being right handed, I selfishly want all the major function buttons that I am going to have to click to be on the right :p But honestly it is not something that greatly bothers me one way or another.

Being right handed, I selfishly want all the major function buttons that I am going to have to click to be on the right :p

Aha, I learn something new everyday here :). I wasn't aware of people wanting (or even needing) stuff on the right because of their 'righthand-ness'. Thanks for explaining this. I am right-handed myself and have different ways of determine how good an UI is.

All in all I really hope M&K can take a look at this and share what their vision is/what they think is best. It seems that these buttons in the upper right corner are a fundamental part of XenForo's UI, so maybe they feel it should be there for good reasons. If people feel Shanj has a good point, please [Like] her first posting. Theeeeenk you. :)

Just a thought, Maybe it's not possible but i'll throw it out there. How about an option in user settings giving the user a "left handed option" and "right handed option" choice to pick from. pending on which one they choose for left handers the buttons and such switch to the left? but remain in the current placement for right handers? Just a wild idea not even sure it would be practical.

Shelley that's a great idea - would make a lovely template mod.

I'd like it CENTRED same row as the pagination.
Logically intuitive because ou're adding to those pages. Centred to make it more unmissable.

Peggy I can sympathise with how you feel on the vbclone issue. Believe me it's not like that for XF - it's so way ahead there's no question. For myself when I suggest it's not b comparison but pure reaction to what's HERE.

Except the timeout/ jump to weird places on new thread, because that's so uttterly pe4culiar compared to ANY decent forum and has no compensation for it. But that's better now they adjjusted the timeout.

I like how its next to the search, kind of a way of asking you to search before making a new thread but I agree it does seem out of the way when it shouldn't be.

Top Bottom