New thread type - sealed response

cwe

In addition to existing/normal discussion threads and polls, I suggest adding an option for a new type of thread where replies to the OP are sealed/hidden until a specific future date at which point all replies are made public.

This could be used for auctions, forum games, puzzle contests and more.

First post to sealed response thread would naturally be visible and the author would need to set the unseal date (just like setting an expiration date for polls).

Of course, mods/admins should retain privileges to read/edit/delete responses while they are still sealed.

This idea would be even better if the OP of a sealed response thread had an option to limit forum members to a single reply during the sealed time period.

Upvote 12
Actually sounds like a pretty good idea. It may be better served as an addon due to the people who will require it being only a small subset but I actually think that it wouldn't be that difficult and could be easily added to the core.

I would display who voted during the hidden phase.

Perhaps I didn't fully flesh out the idea in the OP, but my intention was for sealed threads to display like normal during the sealed/hidden period. You would still see that replies had been posted and the forum members that posted said replies. The difference being that during the sealed/hidden time period, the post content of all replies would just be replaced with a simple phrase like "Contents to be revealed when the thread is unsealed".

Perhaps I didn't fully flesh out the idea in the OP, but my intention was for sealed threads to display like normal during the sealed/hidden period. You would still see that replies had been posted and the forum members that posted said replies. The difference being that during the sealed/hidden time period, the post content of all replies would just be replaced with a simple phrase like "Contents to be revealed when the thread is unsealed".
Quite an intriguing concept really. Tbh I would imagine participating within such delayed revelation threads could potentially become rather entertaining.

Very good thinking there @cwe
🙂👍Well done mate.

P.S. may I quickly add that I'm wondering whether this same delayed revelation concept could also/or alternatively be applied as an optional spoiler type too perhaps(?)–and including, as mentioned by @Digital Doctor, with the added ability to trigger alert notifications for all associated thread watchers once the revelation occurs(?)

😄 Either way, I anticipate there may be much fun to be had.

I’d also like to see who voted from the polls “who voted / submitted pop up” on the first post of the thread.
xenforo.who.submitted.webp
Except it is merely a list of people who submitted, not divided into options. just one big list.

Before the reveal - people are only allowed one post (their guess / vote /submission)

After the reveal, a post is created with the results (after the last submission), and everyone is allowed to post again in the thread.

Last edited:
After the reveal, a post is created with the results (after the last submission), and everyone is allowed to post again in the thread.

Non-bold might be a bit difficult to do as the sealed responses may not be easily summarized depending upon the nature of the thread. I think that is probably something better handled by the human that started the thread.

Bold was the intended behavior (even if I didn't explicitly mention it). :)

Top Bottom