Not planned More tools or syntax in signatures

XFA

Hi,

I think it would be nice to have more options on the signature pages to allow for example the possibility to add the stuff we are currently adding through image generator (number of posts, like, trophies, ...).

I dunno what would be the best way for you to do this but having the possibility to embed those information which currently aren't shown in the postbit (and I guess you don't plan on adding them due to the philisophy you are adopting for XF) would be a nicer way than having to use sig generators.

That could be done through bbcode or replacements with buttons in the editor for example ?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Mod.

When you are running your own xenForo, you can take the image-generation script that's out there and make it so it's cached locally.

Well yes for sure but as the postbit outta here contains far less information than the postbit we are used to, I think having this as a default would be a must have.

Just a couple of thoughts on this, seeing as I created the script:

First, I don't think this would be a good option to include. It would be cool and innovative, but I think it would be more annoying than anything else. Especially since almost everybody would use it. You might as well put the information in the postbit beneath the avatar. :) It would make a great modification, though.

Second, as a mod, it should really be done with HTML and CSS rather than the image generator I created. The generating script is highly inefficient because it has to get the public stats, parse them, and then render everything out. If you did it using only HTML, the rendering is left to the browser and you could get the data using internal variables or database calls - you wouldn't need to fetch and then parse an XML file. :) If I had the option to create the thing using HTML and CSS, it probably would have taken me at most 1/5th of the time it took me to write the script. :)

JFirst, I don't think this would be a good option to include. It would be cool and innovative, but I think it would be more annoying than anything else. Especially since almost everybody would use it. You might as well put the information in the postbit beneath the avatar. :) It would make a great modification, though.

Well the difference with putting the information in the postbit beneath the avatar that it wouldn't let the user select exactly what they want to see appearing (trophies, ...).

Anyway yeah at least this sig thing could be done as a modification and would be a great one.

Well the difference with putting the information in the postbit beneath the avatar that it wouldn't let the user select exactly what they want to see appearing (trophies, ...).

Anyway yeah at least this sig thing could be done as a modification and would be a great one.

True... I could develop this as modification, but I would totally redo it to use CSS/HTML instead of generated images. The only thing that couldn't be done in CSS is the background gradient, but that could be easily generated using GD, saved, and applied as a background: url() repeat-x property. :)

I could also improve it and set it up as a free hosted service (for any XF board, not just this one as Ceri May has done for us), but there's really no sense in that seeing as the resources required to handle such a thing would be quite large, and there's really no source of revenue. :)

True... I could develop this as modification, but I would totally redo it to use CSS/HTML instead of generated images. The only thing that couldn't be done in CSS is the background gradient, but that could be easily generated using GD, saved, and applied as a background: url() repeat-x property. :)

I could also improve it and set it up as a free hosted service (for any XF board, not just this one as Ceri May has done for us), but there's really no sense in that seeing as the resources required to handle such a thing would be quite large, and there's really no source of revenue. :)

xenfans.com runs on a dedicated server, feel free to contact me, I could give you a login to SFTP to build a hosted solution? We have a 4TB traffic limit. And if you cache frequently requested urls it can be static and shouldn't be a problem.

If you were going to include it in the postbit under your avatar, I personally would not want the user to be able to control the look and feel of it - I would want it to look as part of the forum. the user just has the option whether he wants it shown or not.

Top Bottom