XF 2.0 Images in signatures

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
We have one small group given some extra forum privileges, one of which is the addition of an image to the signature. Those in the group are listed as primary group - Registered and secondary group = Privileged Group.

Two issues:

1. there doesn't appear to be a way to upload images to the signature but only to link to them on another website

2. even doing that (using the img tag) a valid image and location shows up only as i placeholder image with a red X

Have I missed something? How do I make this work for that group? And is there a way to allow image uploads instead of just linked images?

Added: I just tested it with my Admin account and it doesn't work for me either. Editing my sig, I add the image and it appears in the text box as a valid image. I save it and it still appears fine. But when I go to a post or create a new post using that sig, I get the red-X image placeholder.

1. there doesn't appear to be a way to upload images to the signature but only to link to them on another website
That is correct, you can't upload images to signatures. There is a suggestion for that here:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/ability-to-upload-image-attachments-in-signatures.50677/

2. even doing that (using the img tag) a valid image and location shows up only as i placeholder image with a red X
Are you using the image proxy on your site? If so, it could be related to this and the size of images you are trying to put into signatures. If you are using it:

In Options > Image & Link proxy - check the "Image cache max size" that you have set. It it's smaller than the images you are linking to, those images will show as a red X (a placeholder)

Check with this image (XenForo logo on Twitter) https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1090883135/xf.png It's only 8Kb so it should work with your current setup (assuming you haven't set a very very small "Image cache max size"

You can also test for any problems with images in Tools > Test image proxy

The link you posted above is from 2011 so I'm guessing it's not going to be changed?

The image we were testing this with is a 100x100px 8kb JPG file.

Image proxy is enabled (I assume it was by default) and set to allow 5120 kb images, so that's not the problem.

However, the Test Image Proxy suggestion identified the problem. Thank you for that: I didn't even realize that existed.

Here's the error:

{image URL} could not be fetched or is not a valid image. The specific error message was: Received unexpected response code 403 (Forbidden)

I appreciate your help.

But I'm still puzzled. The URL points to a location that is not one of my sites. I can access the image in my browser with no errors. It displays fine. I can even download it to my desktop without issue.

So why is the Test Image Proxy utility objecting to it?

Added: I uploaded that same image to my own site and ran that through the Test Image Proxy utility. No errors.

So I assume the other site is doing something to block non-human requests.

Again, thank you for helping me troubleshoot this issue.

The link you posted above is from 2011 so I'm guessing it's not going to be changed?
The suggestion is still open so it hasn't been rejected and it could still be implemented in the future if there is sufficient demand for it and if the developers see reasons for it to be implemented. Currently only 29 people have liked the first post of the suggestion so it's not shown huge popularity. I suggest you like the first post to show support.

So why is the Test Image Proxy utility objecting to it?
The 403 forbidden does mean that you aren't supposed to access the URL but as you say you can in your browser I don't have any further idea without knowing the details of the image etc.

Actually the 403 error could be totally correct. I know for a while that I had the ability for people to hotlink to any images on one of my sites blocked. The first implementation sent a 403 response.... then I simply used a 444 response (dropped the connection) then I ended up using a replacement image that basically stated that hotlinking to my images were not allowed.
You could still see the images if you visited the site using a computer/browser - it was only blocked from other servers requesting the image via a hotlink.

Top Bottom