mootools > jquery

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexandrosD

It'd be cooler to have MooTools (ftw) as the default UI javascript framework instead of jQuery. Its Object Oriented model is so easier to maintenance, especially for a large forum system like xenForo. Even Joomla is using it! See some awesome templates for joomla made with the MooTools Power!
-> rockettheme.com
-> yootheme.com
-> joomlart.com

It's about personal opinion and coding style? Think twice and hit Here, so you can find more about the major differences between the two libraries.

Some mootools code snippets I really like:
Raphaël Icons done with MooTools ART — It would be awesome to have pure resizeable smiley vectors made from the xenWYSIWYG. Mootools art can do this. In addition we could make detailed animated icons, which unlike .gif format limitations (up to 256 color pallete and up to 1 alpha color transparency), will seem more WEB2. See .PNG example here. NOTE: APNG/MNG are not supported by all browsers.
MooEditable — Simpler to customize OO WYSIWYG editor.
More at: http://mootools.net/forge/

Upvote 0
They've already started with jQuery, and the foundations are built on that. It would waste time to convert at this time.

They've already started with jQuery, and the foundations are built on that. It would waste time to convert at this time.
I think it is a bit much to presume on their behalf that it would be a waste of time. I'm sure if the package offers something better that they cannot do themselves or want to do and there is benefit they would at the very least evaluate using it at some point in the future.

You use the tools that provide the best benefit with the least cost.

I am sure Mike and Kier considered all the options; I don't know the full reason why they chose jQuery, but I believe they used it to expand upon it.

I thing Mootools could be used, but the many forum functions are dependent on jQuery, and the current code is written for jQuery. I am not sure if the developers are well versed with Mootools enough to use it in the web application framework.

MooTools to jQuery transition is quite easy for the most developers out there. The foro.js functions are well structured and use Object Oriented Programming logic. I can see more jQuery plugins, than functions. Something pretty slick imo.
There is a dollar safe mode inside MooTools, for us fanboys, that can make both libraries work together without conflicts.

We evaluated YUI 3, jQuery, Mootools and Prototype/Scriptaculous in detail before deciding upon jQuery.

I do not regret our decision in any way.

Nothing wrong with YUI, at least you would know it would work.
However, I believe jQuery is the smarter choice as it is less corporate, and more flexible, trendy, highly supported by unofficial parties, very unique examples are being made daily, jQuery UI, prettier. And I have a feeling with MS into Yahoo, .. we don't know it's 'stable' feature, while jQuery is constantly developed.

mootools and scriptilicious are fun, if you have 1 page and need a tweak. I would never use it in professional software.

Floris, I can't accept your sayings about MooTools being just for fun and unprofessional. Large scale companies and organizations (take cnet, vimeo and joomla for example) use it, because it is more professional for them. jQuery is easier to learn and is a better investment for xenforo, as it can produce more plugins written from people who don't know much about coding and its principles (or from programmers who do and just wanna play with the DOM). Both libraries are trendy, mootools is by far more flexible than jQuery, still jQuery is more popular and has a larger user base.
Please take some time to read this and this.

Floris, I can't accept your sayings about MooTools being just for fun and unprofessional. Large scale companies and organizations (take cnet, vimeo and joomla for example) use it, because it is more professional for them. jQuery is easier to learn and is a better investment for xenforo, as it can produce more plugins written from people who don't know much about coding and its principles (or from programmers who do and just wanna play with the DOM). Both libraries are trendy, mootools is by far more flexible than jQuery, still jQuery is more popular and has a larger user base.

I don't think this is getting us anywhere. Kier and Mike evaluated many solutions, and chose jQuery. We'll have to stick with their decision, since they know best with regards to the forum software.

Personally I prefer jQuery for all of the reasons mentioned above. Doesn't really matter, seeing as they've gone with it and they're not going to be changing... :)

@vrtsolus
You'd say the same if they chose YUI, haven't you read/understood my posts? These companies own the web and have huge scale communities, which run on their custom forum scripts. They do know some things more than you and me.
Let me have my own opinion and say it, even if it is not getting "us" anywhere. I haven't read any true argument from the people who tested all those javascript frameworks in such detail (maybe one; the large jQuery user base). I respect their choice as long as they respect my opinion. I didn't say they did wrong to choose jQuery, it's a matter of coding style and preference.

Doesn't really matter, seeing as they've gone with it and they're not going to be changing... :)
true...

Thanks for the links and your feedback on it. I guess I simply have a different opinion based on trying to use all the libraries in various projects in the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom