Modification Site

Very good. When will open a forum here? Do so soon?
I'd take a guess at an official forum being opened when it goes Gold. Kier stated that the Beta shouldn't be used on a live environment so there's no rush to get the modifications forum up IMO.

I'm sure they'll be posted in the resources forum temporarily.

I'd hope there's an actual Mod database, rather than the way vbulletin.org does it... which is rather hackish.

Having a feedback thread for each mod is fine, but there should be a specific page with details on the mod, download link, etc. without being cluttered with misc. comments such as "thanks" or "maybe i'll try this soon!" (I love these... why post if you haven't used it? lol)

I think all it would take is a mod for the forums to pull it off, but in the end it's up to how the XenForo team wants to handle it.

YES YES YES!
Please no .orgs nets and coms whoever thought of that idea over at Vbulletin is probably the one running it to the ground :D
it's a hustle .... and get this : DIfferent logins for each site :mad:

we're hoping XF to be the obama of forums :D

we're hoping XF to be the obama of forums :D
Idk if we exactly want XF to be the Obama of forums; he's not very popular right now ;). *note: that's just one opinion poll, there are lots of opinion polls with +-3-4 percentage points each way, this isn't intended to turn into a rant*

But, yes, totally agree. XF really has a chance to revolutionize the way a forum business is run, as well as the forum software itself. With the years of experience behind the developers, and the business guru, I don't see why they won't.

haha yes I agree, he isn't very popular.

XF has the momentum of Obama 2 years ago ... without turning this into an Obama debate :D haha but some would probably love to :D

In an ideal world the modifications could be handled well with some creative thinking.

Some of the ideas in this thread are good ones. There have been several other threads about it.

Perhaps XF could provide guidelines to third party developers and check the ones that they do follow those guidelines for a fee in exchange for some sort of a seal or something. So us users can buy and install with peace ;) Avoid VB pitfalls

I disagree with paying for mods on a community oriented product. Look at Wordpress (yeah that's right, no capital p, suck it) for example. On the Extend area of wordpress.org, the mods are all free. Paid mods are not allowed in this area of the site, and I think that model should be followed here, even though XenForo itself will not be free.

Nothing is more disappointing than getting to a mod/plugin page only to find out that in order to use it, you must pay.

It would be like if you could download vbSEO for free, but in order to actually use it you must pay for a key that unlocks it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a communist, but I don't think it would benefit the community at all to have mods that cost money (either to develop or obtain) if they're going to be hosted here.

Furthermore, I have no problem with 3rd party sites charging for their own mods if they really think they're worth paying for.

All I want is a clean mod that doesn't interfere with another , and to achieve that, some sort of uniformity in code between mods must be in place ... Free, so be it, so long as we know who is reputable and follow certain rules and who isn't

All I want is a clean mod that doesn't interfere with another , and to achieve that, some sort of uniformity in code between mods must be in place ... Free, so be it, so long as we know who is reputable and follow certain rules and who isn't
I agree completely. A developer's guide complementing an API/function reference would be fantastic.

does that mean all modifications will be supported officially ? i.e. bug fixes & code thoroughly checked
I can't imagine this being the case, though I could be mistaken. I doubt that Kier/Mike want to support every modification hosted on the site - we'd never get v2!

However, I do like the idea of having a team of officials who check modifications for their legitimacy and give them some kind of seal of approval :P

Top Bottom