Moderator setup question...

speedway

I have been learning about the permissions and have been setting up my mod permissions. I initially setup my moderators (from VB) by assigning them to the Moderator Usergroup and applying permissions as needed

Now, I have setup one moderator via the Moderators link in the User section. I assigned one forum category to this moderator, assigned all the required permissions and also checked the Moderator usergroup for this mod.

When I logged in as her (via a plugin) I saw that she had all the mod controls in the assigned forum but when I checked all the other forums (unassigned in the Moderator section) she also has moderator ability in those too, supposedly from the permissions of the Mod usergroup.

So my question is, what is the point of assigning people via the Moderator function when assigning all the permissions via a usergroup does the same thing? Is there any advantage to doing that.

I suppose my question is coming from the VB point of view where all such permissions were assigned via the Moderator usergroup.

Cheers

When you assign the permissions on the Moderator page, the user will show up in the User Permissions page as they have custom permissions.

When you assign the permissions via user group, they won't.

Which in my case I don't see as an advantage.

Let me ask the question in a different way. Is the any point in having a Moderator usergroup when the moderator assignment process give them what they need to moderate the forum.

In my case all of my current moderators cover the whole site doing pretty much everything aside form specific admin functions, for example none of them can hard delete anything, only I can do that.

Which in my case I don't see as an advantage.

Let me ask the question in a different way. Is the any point in having a Moderator usergroup when the moderator assignment process give them what they need to moderate the forum.
Yes, it's much quicker to set up the base permissions for all moderators.

In my case all of my current moderators cover the whole site doing pretty much everything aside form specific admin functions, for example none of them can hard delete anything, only I can do that.
Which is fine for you personally.

I on the other hand have content moderators so I assign the base level permissions to the Moderating user group and then additional individual permissions to each moderator as required.

Thanks for that link, I think I have read every thread I can find on permissions. With the aid of Waindigo's Log in as User plugin I have been able to get most things back to where they were in VB. I can however see that in the long run XF permissions will make more sense than the convoluted mess that was VB

Top Bottom