XF 2.2 Moderator access permission problem.

Black Tiger

Oke I'm admin. Do I need to be in the moderating group? Because yesterday that prevented my from posting in a forum where a moderator could not post, while I as admin group member I should have been able to post there.

Anyway, I have another issue now, I have a private category for my moderator section. This category is set to private node.
For moderating and admin usergroups I set almost everything to YES.

Then I got the moderator forum. And now I'm confused.
For both moderating and admin usergroups, I left the permissions alone so they are on on "inherit". My moderator can see the "private" category, but not the content so I analyzed his permissions and then I see this:

1610379525250.png

Moderating -> yes
PRIVATE - Moderating: Yes

So according to usergroup Moderating and according to the category PRIVATE he should have access.
But the forum named "Moderators" does say "no" on Registered, but I don't want any registered users in there.

So now I'm confused. Because I do understand whant inheriting does, but I don't understand why the category permission isn't inherited for the moderators forum. And in the category settings for the moderating group, most is set to YES.

Now how come he can't enter?

Question 2:
I as admin have no global entry, I have everything to YES except this:
Code:
PRIVATE - Content-wide              No
Where is that NO coming from? I'm admin???

Question 3:
At some times it seems I'm limited because my primary group is Administrative (can't change that).
Secondary usergroups are Administrative and Moderating.
Do I as administrator need both those secondary groups to be able to do everything?

Do I need to be in the moderating group?
Are you a moderator?

Administrator and moderator are two separate roles.
One is for the back end, the other is for the front end.

my primary group is Administrative (can't change that).
You should - to Registered.

These links will explain how the cumulative permission system works.

Administrator and moderator are two separate roles.
One is for the back end, the other is for the front end.
Ah oke I thought and admin always also was moderator.
Since I also want to do moderating tasks I conclude I have to be in both groups. So 3 in fact. Registered primary and admin and mod secondary.

You should - to Registered.
It was imported that way, I now changed it then, thank you.

However, this does not explain why my moderator does not have access. He is primary registered usergroup and has moderating as secondary group.
Registered is set to no, moderating to yes. Secondary groups overrule so his rights should be yes according to the docs you pointed to.

I'm not native English, and I read it but seems I'm missing something:
This is ideal for creating staff-only forums. To do this, you would make the forum private and then set View node to Yes for the administrative and moderating user groups.
and
No + Yes = Yes

So both my moderator and I are setup exactly the same. View node yes, View and posts threads YES, in the category (and forum inherit).
Registered users are set to no in both cases. But no+yes=yes.

So sorry but i'm still confused.
Seems he only does not have access because registered is set to no, but I have the same and I do have access.

Aaaaaahhh.... that was the trick I think.

For both admins and mods.
Category settings
General permissions view node -> yes
Forum permissions view, read, post -> yes

Moderator forum (not seperately set to private node, but slave of category) for both groups:
General permissions view node -> yes
Forum permissions -> inherit

Result no access because registered it was set to no.
I left general permissions to "no" for registered, but set the rest to "inherit" and there we go... we have access again. To that forum.

I thought higher group permissions would always override.
So I thought the inherited "yes" for the higher moderating group would override the "no" for the registered group too, but that is not the case.

2 other slave forums, setup the same way are odd. To the first I've read only access, the second I can only view threadlist, not threads. LoL. But I'll figure those out some way. Thank you!

Just one question left:
No + Yes = Yes

Is this also the other way around? So like Yes+No=Yes?

For example, if Registered has "react to posts" set to yes.
And some additional group has set this to NO (because there is no inherit section in groups), is it still yes in that case because it's yes in registered?

Is this also the other way around? So like Yes+No=Yes?

An explicit yes always overrides an explicit no.

A no would only trump a yes if it was a node with an inherited yes and an explicit no.

For example, if Registered has "react to posts" set to yes.
And some additional group has set this to NO (because there is no inherit section in groups), is it still yes in that case because it's yes in registered?
Correct.

if you want to remove a permission which is set to yes in another group, you would use never.

Top Bottom