Moderation checkboxes

HannahP

This may be picking at nits, but the moderation checkboxes all over the thread list and on each post are kind of driving me to distraction. I want to make them light gray or smaller or 1px borders or something, so they are not so prominent, but I am failing miserably.

I'm no design genius, but I know you can tweak input elements like checkboxes via CSS. Problem is I located the likely spots (for individual posts: Style Property Groups > Style Properties: Message Layout > Controls Area) but I can't get anything to budge via additional CSS.

Has anyone tweaked those checkboxes themselves, and if so, can you pass along any tips?

Which browser are you using? From my experience with styling check boxes, it is not simple because of the limitations of each browser.

I needed to use CSS to hide check boxes on a style I made awhile back. I created an image to replace the check box with, and used JS to listen for the onClick event to check the hidden check box when the image was clicked on. It worked, but I never liked using that approach just to style a check box, so just lived with how check boxes looked, and radio buttons too.

Code:
.listBlock input,
.messageMeta input
{
	background:@darkLight;
	border:1px solid @darkMain;
	border-radius:3px;
}

Just switch out the @darkXXX for your own colors.

Add it to public.css.

Which browser are you using?
I'm trying it in all kinds of browsers. Primarily I use Firefox, but I'm checking in Chrome, IE, Opera.
Code:
.listBlock input,
.messageMeta input
{
	background:@darkLight;
	border:1px solid @darkMain;
	border-radius:3px;
}

Just switch out the @darkXXX for your own colors.

Add it to public.css.
Thanks, but that doesn't do anything to the checkboxes.

Yeah I just remembered that... Give me a second.

Untitled-1.png

I'm trying it in all kinds of browsers. Primarily I use Firefox, but I'm checking in Chrome, IE, Opera.
Thanks, but that doesn't do anything to the checkboxes.

The only way I know of to style check boxes (and appear the same on all browsers) is to hide them and use JS to check them when you click the replacement graphic. When the form is submitted, the hidden check box value that was set by JS is submitted like a normal check box would be. I'll search my back-ups from my old site to see if I still have how I did it.

Thanks.

Since it's mainly bugging me, the solution doesn't have to work in every browser. I only have two other moderators and we all use Firefox. If it comes down to javascript I'll probably just pass and live with it. I just thought someone might have already figured out a way to do it with CSS. If that's even possible.

Thanks.

Since it's mainly bugging me, the solution doesn't have to work in every browser. I only have two other moderators and we all use Firefox. If it comes down to javascript I'll probably just pass and live with it. I just thought someone might have already figured out a way to do it with CSS. If that's even possible.
I told you the way to do it.

For forum_list:
Code:
<input type="checkbox" name="threads[]" value="2" class="InlineModCheck" id="inlineModCheck-thread-2" data-target="#thread-2"/>

For posts:

Code:
<input type="checkbox" name="posts[]" value="2" class="InlineModCheck item" data-target="#post-2"/>

Using input to style them in CSS will override the default style.

Or you could just style InlineModCheck.

Checkbox rendering is almost always handled at the OS level, and their fundamental appearance can't be changed in most browsers, except those that completely ignore what the OS does - namely Opera.

Can I ask a question concerning this issue? Since it is a bit distracting to have the check boxes on each post, can it change to something different?

An example, unless I am missing something, currently when clicking the link on the Date and Time it doesn't do much of anything other than bring that post to the very top of the screen.

Can this be used to instead 'select' that post for a moderator and this would remove the check box. For a standard user, the Date and Time wouldn't be a link at all. For an moderator, clicking the Date and time to select that post, click it again to de-select it.

I am not sure this is possible, but maybe something along these lines so there isn't a distraction of check boxes, only a link that would blend in nicer with the site?

Even if the Date and Time link can't be use, maybe a link like the report link would work instead to better blend with the clean look.

Just wondering out loud..

Jamie

Top Bottom