XF 1.3 Moderate User Group

• Thread starter Thread starter DirtRider
  • Start date Start date
D

DirtRider

I would like to be able to moderate post made by members in a user group. What would be the best way of doing this?

That depends on the usergroup and your requirements. Is this group for newly registered members? Do you want to moderate posts in just some forums or all forums?

What I am looking at is a mod that post Birthday messages so I just need to place that user under moderation when it post in a forum area. So I thought of placing that Bot user into a group that would be moderated when posting.

I'm not quite clear what you are trying to achieve here.

What I am looking at is a mod that post Birthday messages
Do you mean "moderator" or "add-on"?

so I just need to place that user under moderation when it post in a forum area
Which user is placed under moderation? The user whose birthday it is? The moderator?

So I thought of placing that Bot user into a group that would be moderated when posting.
What Bot user. Is this part of an add-on? If so, why would you need to place a Bot user from an add-on into a moderated usergroup? Surely the add-on should only make posts that your require and therefore don't need any moderating? If it's not doing this, then wouldn't it be better to discuss this with the author of the add-on?

Ok this is what the issue is. I have mod installed and this mod will make a post for every event that is on that day. I do not want all these threads posted. So now we want to moderate all post made by this add on (I have created a user to post these messages)

The short version, I need to moderate all post made by one member

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, this is something you might want to request is added from the add-on author.

If your registered group (which everyone should have as their primary group) does not have posting permissions (ie Follow message moderation rules is set to Not Set (No) andyou use it to moderate all new members and then after a few posts they are added to another group which gives posting permissions) then the simplest thing is to just make sure that this bot user has this as their only group.

If the registered group has posting permissions, then you have two options:

1. Create a secondary group and call it something like "Moderated posts in X forum" (X being the forum the bot posts in). Add this as a secondary to the bot user. The go to ACP > Users > Node permissions. For the forum in question, click on Permissions and for the Moderated posts in X forum group, set Post new thread to Revoke. You can also use this group in the future to place others so that their posts are also moderated in this forum.
  2. Create a secondary group and call it something like "all posts moderated group". For this group, set Follow message moderation rules to Never. Add this as a secondary usergroup for the bot user. You can also use this group in the future to place "naughty people" into (I've got a group set up like this for this purpose) which will mean all posts are moderated everywhere. It cannot be overridden except by removing from this group.
  3. If you just want to restrict for this one bot user only, then ACP > User permissions > bot user > Follow message moderation rules to Never. This cannot be overridden by permissions elsewhere.
2 and 3 are a couple of the very few exceptions where Never can be be used. In most other cases, you should avoid using it.

Ah thanks I have gone with option 3 for now as it seems to be the easer way just to manage this one user. I have requested that this feature be added into that mod

Coming from VB I am finding the permission very powerful but I still need to get my head around them all fully, thanks for the help here (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
This mod will make a post for every member that is having a birthday on that day.
There's a really easy and IMO much better solution (then moderating posts..)
I would suggest to change the fetch query and get only the users with todays birthday AND where the user.last_activity < NOW() - 1 Year

then it will fetch only the active users;)

There's a really easy and IMO much better solution (then moderating posts..)
I would suggest to change the fetch query and get only the users with todays birthday AND where the user.last_activity < NOW() - 1 Year

then it will fetch only the active users;)

I have asked someone to have a look at doing this for me as I am not a coder and would rather not mess with it and then have issues at a later stage :D

Firstly, this is something you might want to request is added from the add-on author.

1. If you just want to restrict for this one bot user only, then ACP > User permissions > bot user > Follow message moderation rules to Never. This cannot be overridden by permissions elsewhere.

Very interesting turn of events here. If I post as this member it goes into moderation but when the mod post it does not go into moderation. So it seems that I will now need to create another forum area only viewable by admin and moderators and have it post into there. We would then need to just move those ones we wanted posted into the open forum areas. With this said it does not really matter as I will no longer be using this mod in any event being the way it is right now and having this restriction.

I thought I would however just let you know about this new development in any event with the moderation.

Top Bottom