mod_pagespeed 1.0 is here

Yeah I'm not watching an hours worth of this bro. Can you give it to us in a nut shell. Or just type out a small paragraph?? :eek:

mod_pagespeed

mod_pagespeed is an open-source Apache module that automatically optimizes web pages and resources on them. Optimization is done by rewriting the resources using filters that implement web performance best practices. Webmasters and web developers can use mod_pagespeed to improve the performance of their web pages when serving content with the Apache HTTP Server.
Three steps to mod_pagespeed

Install

mod_pagespeed is available as a downloadable binary for i386 and x86-64bit systems and as open-source code accessible through svn. It is tested with two flavors of Linux: CentOS and Ubuntu. The developer may try to use them with other Debian-based and RPM-based Linux distributions.

Serve your web pages with Apache and mod_pagespeed

Follow the instructions to configure mod_pagespeed with Apache and get familiar with the configuration. There are several filters provided as part of this module, including some exciting experimental features such as CSS outlining. With some experimentation, you can fine-tune the configuration to get the maximum benefit in terms of page performance. In addition, make sure to configure caching and compression to get the maximum benefit out of your HTTP Server.

Learn more about Web Performance

The field of web performance is a complex space. Check our filter documentation and best practices documentation on how to optimize your website.

It's over four years later. Has anyone ever tried Pagespeed with Xenforo? I only wonder if it will break more of our forums than actually help them. I have some lower-traffic sites I may try it on, but don't know if it will do any good on a big board--all of this alleged gain in delivering the images is offset by increased CPU load.

Been using it since day 1, it's all about reasonable combination of settings. The load is basically one time for the most part, it's worth it and faster if you set it up right.

Hmmm...I will install it on my smaller account and see how it goes. Agreed about the settings.

It's not like the big board I'm currently working on is suffering, but by the same token, I am trying to optimize everything to the fullest extent possible before anything bad happens. On this particular big board, we are running it on a single 4-core CPU dedicated server (with Elasticsearch), and with almost 2,000 visitors online (~600 logged-in members), our loads average around 1.50. ;)

I can only imagine how much we'd be paying for hardware if we still had vB! It's a testament to how well XF performs under higher loads.

Top Bottom