mod_pagespeed

briansol

So I installed mod_pagespeed through easyApache and did nothing else, and my site went haywire.

It seems to auto-attach to css.php, rewrote it to A.css.php?etc etc .pagespeed which then 404'ed. Very strange.

I rebuilt apache without it and things are back to normal. Any ideas how to enable it and have it work with xenforo?

FWIW, I found that mod_pagespeed actually slowed down my sites, even according to Google's own measures.

I think there are better ways to optimize your server.

I used mod_pagespeed years ago when I was on XF1, and it was beneficial.

You would close your site, enable pagespeed at the server level but with a disable directive for your site (also disable defaults), then re-enable your site to make sure that it still works. Then enable pagespeed individual feature directives one-at-a-time, and test with each change. The safer options would be those that optimized static assets like images, I also did some selective in-line rewriting. You may find that a few enabled directives will make a difference.

I've migrated to Litespeed since, which includes a mod_pagespeed feature, but am not using it. As previously pointed out, it would result in a slower user experience in my current scenario. However, if I were building an instance without Litespeed, I'd consider using mod_pagespeed for a few elements.

Top Bottom