Mobile Text Message Notification?!

Dante_B

IDEA! To enable specific usergroups with Mobile Text Message Notification?

I wouldn't allow everyone on my board to have this available, but only those that contributes to the board a lot. When someone creates a thread, while they get their email notification, they will also get a MOBILE TXT Notification! Everyone these days have Unlimited Text Messaging.

As the Founder of my community, I would add a new line on my wireless account with unlimited text messaging. Using that number to send and receive text messages. Would this idea be possible?

Sending messages reliably is going to cost money, and not by adding a number on to your account. I can't think of any major provider that allows messages to be sent via an outside source as an actual text message. Services exist that allow you to send them via an actual email, but email as text is rather unreliable depending on the recipient (a group I belong to used to do this, members would receive half messages, none at all, etc.). The only reliable way is to use a pay-per-text service such as Twilio to send out the texts. I rewrote the application our group uses to use Twilio and it works much more reliably. The proof of concept add-on would be easy, but it would never be costly the owner to utilize depending on how many notifications are sent a month.

Sending messages reliably is going to cost money, and not by adding a number on to your account. I can't think of any major provider that allows messages to be sent via an outside source as an actual text message. Services exist that allow you to send them via an actual email, but email as text is rather unreliable depending on the recipient (a group I belong to used to do this, members would receive half messages, none at all, etc.). The only reliable way is to use a pay-per-text service such as Twilio to send out the texts. I rewrote the application our group uses to use Twilio and it works much more reliably. The proof of concept add-on would be easy, but it would never be costly the owner to utilize depending on how many notifications are sent a month.
You can text numbers using email:

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
- See more at: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/..._tmobile_verizon_virgin/#sthash.dLzo5IM2.dpuf

This is entirely possible without extra costs, simply find a way to identity carrier for a number upon submission by the user (preferably using the deferred XF feature) and store that into the DB. Then whenever you want to send a notification, just send it via above format and they should get it to their phone :)

You can text numbers using email:

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
- See more at: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/..._tmobile_verizon_virgin/#sthash.dLzo5IM2.dpuf

This is entirely possible without extra costs, simply find a way to identity carrier for a number upon submission by the user (preferably using the deferred XF feature) and store that into the DB. Then whenever you want to send a notification, just send it via above format and they should get it to their phone :)
And I stated that in my response:
Services exist that allow you to send them via an actual email, but email as text is rather unreliable depending on the recipient

Its unreliable at best.

Lack of control, providers modify the message (some attach a shortened version as a subject within the message, chopping off the message), delivery speed, etc.

I don't have evidence, no. But I've used services as such as this extensively and its never been a reliable delivery method for me.

Lack of control, providers modify the message (some attach a shortened version as a subject within the message, chopping off the message), delivery speed, etc.

I don't have evidence, no. But I've used services as such as this extensively and its never been a reliable delivery method for me.
Hmmm be interesting though. How about this:
Incorporate the service, and see if someone can get a little funding from one of these SMS companies for integration in the plugin, or at least discounts for XF users?

Top Bottom