1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Text Message Notification?!

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Requests' started by Dante_B, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Dante_B

Dante_B Active Member

IDEA! To enable specific usergroups with Mobile Text Message Notification?

I wouldn't allow everyone on my board to have this available, but only those that contributes to the board a lot. When someone creates a thread, while they get their email notification, they will also get a MOBILE TXT Notification! Everyone these days have Unlimited Text Messaging.

As the Founder of my community, I would add a new line on my wireless account with unlimited text messaging. Using that number to send and receive text messages. Would this idea be possible?

Junior likes this.
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Sending messages reliably is going to cost money, and not by adding a number on to your account. I can't think of any major provider that allows messages to be sent via an outside source as an actual text message. Services exist that allow you to send them via an actual email, but email as text is rather unreliable depending on the recipient (a group I belong to used to do this, members would receive half messages, none at all, etc.). The only reliable way is to use a pay-per-text service such as Twilio to send out the texts. I rewrote the application our group uses to use Twilio and it works much more reliably. The proof of concept add-on would be easy, but it would never be costly the owner to utilize depending on how many notifications are sent a month.

3. silence

silence Well-Known Member

You can text numbers using email:

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
    Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
    Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
    Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
    Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
    - See more at: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/..._tmobile_verizon_virgin/#sthash.dLzo5IM2.dpuf

This is entirely possible without extra costs, simply find a way to identity carrier for a number upon submission by the user (preferably using the deferred XF feature) and store that into the DB. Then whenever you want to send a notification, just send it via above format and they should get it to their phone :)

4. Jeremy

And I stated that in my response:
    Its unreliable at best.

5. silence

Ah well reading is important I guess lol.
    Are you referring to those as third-party services since I thought they were official by the provider?

6. Jeremy

I didn't specify 3rd or 1st party. I said "services", which includes both.

7. silence

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim of 'unreliable' services? Like any statistics. It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious as to how it would perform in general.
    I'm looking around for posts about it and I'm not getting too much negative opinions on it :/
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...s-messages-sent-using-free-email-sms-gateways

8. Jeremy

Lack of control, providers modify the message (some attach a shortened version as a subject within the message, chopping off the message), delivery speed, etc.

I don't have evidence, no. But I've used services as such as this extensively and its never been a reliable delivery method for me.

9. silence

Hmmm be interesting though. How about this:
    Incorporate the service, and see if someone can get a little funding from one of these SMS companies for integration in the plugin, or at least discounts for XF users?

Kenson M likes this.