XF 1.5 Mobile Image Uploading problems

Joeychgo

recently I have had some members complaining about a problem uploading photos on android devices.

Here are 2 threads:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/uploading-pics.374595/
"Can't seem to get the upload photos feature to work.
I click on it, it says "choose an action" but never goes any farther."

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/help-cant-post-pics.374742/
"When I try to upload it says does not have an allowed extension"

I have a third android user complaining via PM as well.

This is not affecting all android users.

Any help is appreciated.

Disabling add-ons and testing in a default style are the standard trouble shooting steps.

However, if it's only affecting a few members then it's likely to be issues local to them - clearing browser cache/restarting devices may help.

We have had a couple reports of it, though nothing definitive. You could attempt to disable the HTML5 uploader (which would make mobiles go back to the old, "basic" uploader).

I asked since I only had that issue on my Android phone (both on my own forum and XenForo's). Pretty sure someone else mentioned my issue as well on a thread for a particular HTML5 uploader add-on.

However, if it's only affecting a few members then it's likely to be issues local to them - clearing browser cache/restarting devices may help

While not affecting all users, I have had several complain. So I don't think its as simple as being "local to them". Restarting devices has not helped. To me, this sounds like a compatibility issue between XF and something to do with the android OS.

possible. I dunno. I would think XF would be looking into this a bit more. Maybe I'm wrong.
I sorta look at this like I do at expecting support for IE 6/7 and Windows XP. There does reach a point that hardware (and it's supporting OS) become obsolescent and should be replaced. Most of the complaints I've seen commented on have been related to older phones using the older versions of the OS.

It's a pity that it does cost to do that, but it's all part of the normal cycle of being active on the internet now. You can't expect support for OS's that are (in the case of a cell phone) 4-5 years old (Jelly Bean/KitKat era).

Last edited:
I believe this is due to a pretty significant bug/issue that appears to be specific to Android 4.4 (Kitkat). This version broke file uploads entirely in WebViews and once there were some changes, it still created issues. As far as I can tell, Android 5+ won't have issues, nor will recentish versions of Chrome on 4.4 (there was a relevant bug fixed in Chrome 33).

As such, we basically have to fallback to the "basic" uploader for Android <= 4 if they're not using Chrome. If anyone has a device that was having problems with the HTML5 uploader wants to test the changes here, please do. In this case, you should receive the overlay version of the file uploader (which should work as before 1.5.12).

Top Bottom