XF 2.2 Missing icons in Safari after upgrading to 2.2

PumpinIron

After upgrading to XF 2.2, I am now missing all the icons (not sure what they are technically called) that used to show up in the browser bar.

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 7.33.45 AM.webp

Now they just have a "W", whereas they used to be icons I had custom made.

It's been days now. I tried emptying the cache and nothing works.

Is this a potential bug?

They're known as favicons.

That's browser functionality though - nothing to do with XF specifically.

As long as the favicon is being served by the site/domain then the browser will display it.

The favicons from your sites and this one show fine for me.

They're known as favicons.

That's browser functionality though - nothing to do with XF specifically.

As long as the favicon is being served by the site/domain then the browser will display it.

The favicons from your sites and this one show fine for me.

I thought they were favicons, just wasn't sure about the bigger ones.

Weird, they are all still in the same place and being served correctly. Maybe I just have to wait a little longer for them to show up.

This might be using the apple-touch-icon value and there has been a change here now as we have some additional icon fields. Setting the "Icon URL (192x192)" style property would presumably bring it back. (It previously used the metadata icon, though the implication of its use is sort of separate from are more general icon.)

This might be using the apple-touch-icon value and there has been a change here now as we have some additional icon fields. Setting the "Icon URL (192x192)" style property would presumably bring it back. (It previously used the metadata icon, though the implication of its use is sort of separate from are more general icon.)

Yep, I've got all those fields (including the Icon URL (192x192)) filled out in the ACP just incase, but still no luck.

I have a little quick & dirty workaround.
I was messing around with that since XF 1.x at the end i just used a public and free favicon-generator https://www.favicon-generator.org/ to get all i needed.
Place the icons to your XF-root.
The code you place right after the <head> entry to the "meta" content in your PAGE_CONTAINER template and the thing is done for any common OS and browser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom