Missing categories!!!

Rho Delta

There has been widespread reports on one of my forums about categories not linking to anything. I have had the forum up for over a year with no issues and have made no changes to these categories. My host can't find anything wrong on their end... help!

(link removed due to forum spam)
Categories not working: Schools, Non Specific (seems to be working again), alumni

(links removed due to forum spam)

You can still access threads by using the search function. Very strange. I need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

In mod security he said the only error he sees is this:
[Wed Nov 14 13:21:23 2012] [error] [client 1.1.1.1] Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer: (link removed due to forum spam)

In mod security he said the only error he sees is this:
[Wed Nov 14 13:21:23 2012] [error] [client 1.1.1.1] Premature end of script headers: index.php, referer:

That is from the Apache webserver error logs, not from the mod_security logs.
Your webmaster is either purposefully obfuscating you, or really has no idea. In either case, you should be concerned.

Oh, and that Apache error log also tells you the XF main/index PHP page abruptly stopping giving data to the webserver to deliver back to the client. Giving even more credibility to a mod_security intervention.

ServInt have a fairly large reseller network, I'm willing to bet (given the ineptitude of response he has received) that the OP's provider is one.

I'm also willing to bet the mod_security action is being trigger by word association appearing in the block page. hence why he sometimes see's the page and sometime's not. As posts are generated, the trigger word(s) are and are not appearing with the forum thread listing/index. Checking the mod_security log is a simple and quick job to either rule it out or in, and if in it will tell you the exact rule and it's trigger that caused the page to be blocked.

Thanks for the good info. I passed it on and hope he can fix this for me. He is a reseller and we have mutual friends so I'd like to keep my business there, but if he can't fix this I may have to move. Right now he only charges me $15 a month and my site runs fast with 65 users online at all times, with spikes of 200 users. Is there anywhere I could find a similar deal or is this price very low?

I think I have narrowed down the problem. It is something in a thread title or a bad thread. I was able to create some new threads in one of the problem categories and push whichever thread is causing this to page 2 because the main category page now loads but page 2 in that category gets the error... any advice on how to narrow this down even more or fix it? I could lock whichever thread is the issue so its not bumped any more if I knew which one it was.

... any advice on how to narrow this down even more or fix it?
You won't ever fix it, unless mod_security is fixed or you move hosts.

To identify which thread, one-by-one move post/bump each thread on the 2nd page and voila as soon as you first page gives error 500 you know which thread is the cause.

But it could, and likely will, happen again for as long as the mod_security impacting remains uncorrected.

Just the same problem was. Take off friendly urls and evertihng is working.
Using IPSLite + ZendExtanstionManager asPHP extensions.
So, how should i configure my server to turn on frienly urls? Thanks.

Top Bottom