As designed Missing Alert

Mr Lucky

Affected version
I apologise if this is user error, but I don't see how I would not get an alert if I am watching the thread, and I post in it

I received no alert or notification for a reply to my post in a thread (I was aready) watching:

I posted yesterday at 5:47
Siropu replied at 5:56

I got no alert at 5:56for Siropu's (very prompt) response. However I did get alert for the reply this morning from Keto Cooking this morning as expected.
Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 11.12.24.png

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 11.06.18.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 11.14.08.webp
    Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 11.14.08.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 2
Realistically, we don't necessarily know. Though the only guess I could have is that the thread was still unread (possibly from you not reading the thread fully; we don't mark a thread as read after replying if there are unread pages) and thus that triggers the logic that we only send an alert when a thread becomes unread. That's the best I can guess.

Realistically, we don't necessarily know. Though the only guess I could have is that the thread was still unread (possibly from you not reading the thread fully; we don't mark a thread as read after replying if there are unread pages) and thus that triggers the logic that we only send an alert when a thread becomes unread. That's the best I can guess.

That's interesting - if a threads has to be fully read, ie every single page and post has to be actually read or no alerts. Generally I have always got alerts for new messages after either watching/replying and not had to read the entire thread - just keep up to date with the alerts I get. I would also say if that is the case then thye email phrase You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages. should be changed to You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read all the messages in the thread..

I had been reading that thread AFAIK, but I couldn't actually swear I've read all of the 88 pages. So maybe I should make a suggestion about this as that doesn't seem realistic to me.

To clarify, read marking is based on the last post you've read. So if you go to the last page, it considers everything before it read.

But if you were on page 1 of an 88 page thread and posted a reply from there, we don't mark the thread as read because you basically skipped a bunch of posts in the middle (we show a message that indicates there are other posts not shown; if only your post is new or we've shown you all the posts, then it does get marked as read).

Top Bottom