XF 1.1 Minimum # of Posts, to post in a certain Node:

CritiKiL

I am trying to fix it so that users can see and reply to, but not post until they have a certain number of forum posts made. Once they have passed that threshold, they are then free to "make a post" in that node area. Any ideas or help in this regard? Thanks in advance ;-)

No, you assume too much. XenForo was my first and I've never had any vBull" because I don't believe in paying that much for something that I felt was going to become secondary, so when the 5 people left that platform and started XenForo, that's when I jumped in. Sorry, you're wrong again, so Please cease so I can get some resolution to my ISSUE which is NOT about assuming things about my setup. Thanks ;-)

Now, after much waiting the Promotion says" I have it, but it is not applying the condition for that post. Hmmm, Still need help on this but at least I have absorbed HOW it is to work. Now just getting it to work would be monumental...
So have you tried as per Jake's instructions?

And E-107 was abandoned and hackable. I was hacked over and over and the modules for downloading were fun at the time and FREE. You don't seem to understand how I'm using the Groups for Levels in my Heirarchy. The 'Staff' addon is what I used which puts them in those 9 groups I have set up because I have 9 levels (or ranks) for my members. You can see all of that on the website if you wish, this link explains the heirachy of my members:

http://forum.clankillas.net/index.php?help/imprint

And this link shows how it works and WHY I have it setup with "proper" perminssions.

http://forum.clankillas.net/index.php?XenStaff/

You see, each group is color-coded (part of the addon) and I don't want to change anything that is working.

BTW: The permissions for each of those groups ARE DONE RIGHT, so I'm not going to tinker with something that's already working and has nothing to do with my wanting to have it so than 'anyone' with less than 50 Trophy points cannot post that they want a signature designed. The reason I want this is so that it works automatically.

Ok, so NOW I see something has changed when I try to do this using existing groups. It's altered my XenStaff group by adding these two members into every group: "Racingboy18" and 'Shot_78". So I'm not going to be able to use existing groups for this. Those two should only be on one of those 9 levels, and after doing the Promotion (including existing groups), it's putting them into every level:

So I definitely need to remove the existing groups from this issue and try to make a seperate group.

And E-107 was abandoned and hackable. I was hacked over and over and the modules for downloading were fun at the time and FREE. You don't seem to understand how I'm using the Groups for Levels in my Heirarchy. The 'Staff' addon is what I used which puts them in those 9 groups I have set up because I have 9 levels (or ranks) for my members. You can see all of that on the website if you wish, this link explains the heirachy of my members:

http://forum.clankillas.net/index.php?help/imprint

And this link shows how it works and WHY I have it setup with "proper" perminssions.

You see, each group is color-coded (part of the addon) and I don't want to change anything that is working.

BTW: The permissions for each of those groups ARE DONE RIGHT, so I'm not going to tinker with something that's already working and has nothing to do with my wanting to have it so than 'anyone' with less than 50 Trophy points cannot post that they want a signature designed. The reason I want this is so that it works automatically.
Looking at your user groups you seem to have renamed the Registered group. So what's the name for the Registered group? Does everyone have this as their primary user group?

Looking at your user groups you seem to have renamed the Registered group. So what's the name for the Registered group? Does everyone have this as their primary user group?
Yes! It's Lvl 01 - Forum Users but I cannot use that. Forum Users group has restrictions to keep the 'users' separate from the clan members (hence the reason for the heirarchy). I'd pretty much want NOT to mess with the XenStaff groups because that part of my forum works fine.

Yes! It's Lvl 01 - Forum Users but I cannot use that. Forum Users group has restrictions to keep the 'users' separate from the clan members (hence the reason for the heirarchy). I'd pretty much want NOT to mess with the XenStaff groups because that part of my forum works fine.
I'm not sure why you can't use that group as suggested. Any restrictions the group has set should be set to Not Set (No) and not Never.

Anyway, presumably Level 1 can't see the node in question? If so, then which Level is the first to see the node? And which Level is the first that you want to be able to post a thread in the node?

We did it for the reason I've explained: To separate the people who do not want to join as members but just want to be community users. It does what it's supposed to just like Registered, but we named it differently.

Level 01 IS able to view that thread. The intention of the SIGS thread is so people (everyone!) can LOOK and reply but not POST until they have over 50 Trophy points. And I still do not see why the groups I 'already have setup' have anything to do with what I'm trying to do now. Why are we even talking about the existing groups I've made for Heirarcy when those groups have their own separate use? Why are you soo fixated on my 'existing groups' which work as intended? I understand about the Registered, but we canont use that because it's a part of a group not allowed to see areas of the forum which are for 'members only'. You're just making this issue worse because you won't get off of the groups I already have which have nothing to do with the thread I want to let people post in - if they have more than 50 Trophy points.

Leave the existing groups out of this issue, they do not apply ;-).

I have to wait about an hour because I disabled the Promotion I made which included those groups. Once those have gone back to normal after the cron job updates and I see that my XenStaff groups are back to normal, then I'll pick back up from there. I can see NOW that trying to include those groups was a bad idea and it was suggested that I could use them for this issue - but it is clear now that I cannot without altering the groups intended purpose.

Leave the existing groups out of this issue, they do not apply ;-).
They completely apply as you are wanting to create a promotion that gives access to some members thread posting rights in a specific forum. You claim you can't use the Registered group as suggested by Jake. You are unwilling to explain how your groups actually work, probably because you don't have them set up in a cumulative manner as per the recommended method.

I was willing to try and work through this with you but you've been arsey when questioned about how your setup works. So that's fine, I won't bother helping any more. I doubt you'll get much help from others with that attitude either.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

They completely apply as you are wanting to create a promotion that gives access to some members thread posting rights in a specific forum. You claim you can't use the Registered group as suggested by Jake. You are unwilling to explain how your groups actually work, probably because you don't have them set up in a cumulative manner as per the recommended method.

I was willing to try and work through this with you but you've been arsey when questioned about how your setup works. So that's fine, I won't bother helping any more. I doubt you'll get much help from others with that attitude either.

Good luck, you're going to need it.
If your idea of accusing and not making constructive criticism by saying that some groups I have which permissions you "cannot even see" are "MESSY", is helping - then I'll put a bullet in my brain now. You have been nothing but argumentive because you want to use groups I already have assigned. You are "fixated" about some protocol which my Moderator says he did correctly and has been working fine for over 5 years. You came into this thread NOT very helpful and because you want to play God with my existing groups, I'm not happy with anything you say.

I am following Jake's instructions. He said that it 'should' work with existing groups but it's not and is actually clashing so I'm going back to Jakes point of 'creating a group' for this issue, instead of using existing ones.

And we DO have our user groups set up as the system was designed and as the XenStaff addon suggests, so there are no 'IFs. The idea of it not being setup correctly (AND that those group setups are wrong or messy) is pure assumption by someone who is not helpful in this regard but wishes to push the idea that permissions he cannot even see are wrong. So:
  1. IF, we all stop "assuming" that my group permission are wrong, that would clear up a lot of things that Mortok has made the talk of this thread, it is not warranted. My existing groups and their permissions have nothing to do with what I'm trying to achieve or what I am asking help with regards to.
  2. IF I can finish up with Jake's and not Martok's misunderstanding and unwillingness realize he's assuming something that is not true nor has anything to do with Jakes instructions, that would be fine.

Create a new group to represent the ability to post new threads in that forum:

Admin CP -> Users -> List User Groups -> Create New User Group

The new group should have all permissions "Not Set (No)".

Then edit the permissions for that forum:

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> Permissions

Edit the Registered group and "Revoke" the Post new thread permission.

Then edit the new group you created and "Allow" the same permission. You will probably need to "Allow" the permission for other groups as well such as Administrators and Moderators, otherwise a "Revoke" is subtractive in the absence of an explicit "Allow."

Then create an appropriate promotion to add users to that group based on post count:

Admin CP -> Users -> User Group Promotions -> Create New Promotion

Note that promotions are run hourly. They are not immediate.
UPDATE: After creating a Group named SIG ELIGIBLE and setting up everything as Jake said, this now works! I was confused earlier when I did not want to 'add people to a new group' because I did not know this Promotion would add them itself - hence the comment about my not wanting to add over 200 people to the new group. Thanks for everyone's help, I detest it when I am unfamiliar with something and a person tries to criticize me when I'm trying to understand how this works. Again, having existing user Groups had NOTHING to do with what I was trying to accomplish and even the image "of the SIG Permissions" was not messy so assumptions should never be made unless you can see something wrong. Since my User Groups created show nothing of their setup it is wrong to assume it is setup wrong when we have it working as suggested and intended for more than 5 years. It was never about XenStaff Group Permissions (it is setup as a Heirarchy which works perfectly in that regard), but rather how to apply a PROMOTION which required me to create a new group, so that my Promotion would work since I've never used Promotions before.

Top Bottom