Migration from phorum + custom email validation

euge

Hello,
I am planning to migrate my current forum on dadabik.com, based on phorum (phorum.org) and I am evaluating a few solutions including xenforo.
I have two questions:

1) I currently have around 20k posts to migrate and I know there isn't an official importer from phorum. I could try a two-steps process (going through phpBB for example) but I don't know if it is worth doing it, also considering that, to increase security, I modified the way phorum stores password. So I think I would finally need to manually create a migration script.
Is there anybody here who did a phorum -> xenforo migration in the past? If yes, can you tell me if it's easly doable and/or do you have any hint?

2) In my forum, only customers can register, so I need to check, during registration, the email (it must be a valid customer's email).
Is it possible in xenforo to provide a custom validation function for the email?

Thanks.

E.

to increase security, I modified the way phorum stores password
What were the passwords stored as originally, and what are they stored as now?

2) In my forum, only customers can register, so I need to check, during registration, the email (it must be a valid customer's email).
Is it possible in xenforo to provide a custom validation function for the email?
We have a series of validator classes, including an Email validator. It is fairly trivial to extend most classes within XenForo, including this one. It would just involve extending the isValid method in that class and adding your own logic to it (which is presumably reading information from your customer database)

What were the passwords stored as originally, and what are they stored as now?

They are now Bcrypt, I don't remember the hashing algorithm originally used (I made this modification several years ago, together with other modifications) but they were not salted.

We have a series of validator classes, including an Email validator. It is fairly trivial to extend most classes within XenForo, including this one. It would just involve extending the isValid method in that class and adding your own logic to it (which is presumably reading information from your customer database)

Yes I guess I can do it by adding some code but is this an intended use? What happens if I upgrade my xenforo installation? Will my class extension preserved?

Thanks.

They are now Bcrypt, I don't remember the hashing algorithm originally used (I made this modification several years ago, together with other modifications) but they were not salted.
XF and newer versions of PhpBB use Bcrypt by default these days so a dual import should preserve existing passwords (though of course that will need some testing to be sure).

Not entirely insurmountable. If you run into issues I think we should be able to find a way forwards.

Yes I guess I can do it by adding some code but is this an intended use? What happens if I upgrade my xenforo installation? Will my class extension preserved?
Yeah class extensions are preserved across upgrades. The only fully incompatible changes we've ever made were from XF1 to XF2 but that was because XF2 was basically a full rewrite. Something which, I don't feel, is an approach we would look to take again in the future.

XF and newer versions of PhpBB use Bcrypt by default these days so a dual import should preserve existing passwords (though of course that will need some testing to be sure).

Not entirely insurmountable. If you run into issues I think we should be able to find a way forwards.
Ok thanks.
Yeah class extensions are preserved across upgrades. The only fully incompatible changes we've ever made were from XF1 to XF2 but that was because XF2 was basically a full rewrite. Something which, I don't feel, is an approach we would look to take again in the future.

Awesome, thanks!

I finally proceeded with the purchase of your product.
The installation was very smooth.

About the importer: I've done a research and I haven't found any (apparently) good enough importer from phorum to phpBB (or to any of the other platforms you officially support migration from). I think I will need to write my custom script and this migration is harder than expected but I will figure it out. I might need some support about some db fields whose content is not completely clear to me but I will ask to the support.

Best,

E.

Top Bottom