Migration from BurnungBoard v1

Sietsch

Hi there

A friend owns a forum running on BurnungBoard version 1.1.1.
This software is now 18 years old! :)
Still running smoothly but absolutely out-dated with all risks and downsides one can think of.

This being said, he wants to migrate his data to a new software. Since a forum I use quite frequently is running XenForo, I recommended XenForo zu him.
I have not been able to look at the database model but I expect it to be simple: foreign key dependencies between database tables such as forums, threads, posts and users; plain vanilla (I guess).

Now, how easy is it to load an existing simple forum (i.e., its database content) into a clean XenForo installation (there should not be more than 4-5 database tables... as I said: forums, threads, posts, users... and maybe a couple more...)?
Besides possible data format conversions (e.g., timestamp from date/time to UNIX-timestamp) is it simply filling the tables via SQL?
Any metadata-tables that would have to be filled as well?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I know Burning Board 1.1.1 quite well. I'd go the following route:

WBB 1 -> WBB 2 -> vBulletin 3.8 -> XenForo.

WBB1 -> WBB2 won't change the IDs of threads and posts, vB will tho, but XF can retain the vB-IDs, so we can even make any old links work.

WBB1 stores user passwords as simple MD5 hashes, vB uses double MD5 (i.e. make MD5 hash of the MD5 hash of the password) and XF can import vB passwords, so even user passwords will work.

You can hook me up if you are interested in such conversion :)

Thanks for your feedback.

Simply loading the data of WBB 1 into XenForo's DB is not an option?
WBB 2 and vBulletin 3.8 are ancient (can still be downloaded?) as well and require a paid-for licence, if I am not mistaken.

What exactly does "hook me up" mean? Carrying out the conversion as a paid service?

Simply loading the data of WBB 1 into XenForo's DB is not an option?
I wouldn't do this (unless that WBB has millions of posts, where it becomes a pain to go multiple steps)
WBB 2 and vBulletin 3.8 are ancient (can still be downloaded?) as well and require a paid-for licence, if I am not mistaken.
I have them all on my hard disk, so I could help you out.
What exactly does "hook me up" mean? Carrying out the conversion as a paid service?
If you want to and you're ready, send me a conversation and I can do the conversion for you.

It's a tiny forum... according to the AdminCP, the database is 55mb large.
I will for sure get back to you but I need to discuss this with the owner of the forum first. He is currently quite busy in his actual day job...
May be topic for Q2/2019.

Again: Thanks for your support and as I said, I will get back to you! (y)

Top Bottom