Migrating from phpBB 3.1.6 to XenForo

XPlus

Hi

Old vBulletin fan here.
I have to say that you guys have done a great job with the XenForo.
It's that unique quality where I can feel I'm at home.

We currently have an expanding community of 3k+ who are moderately active and would like to move to a XenForo.
I wonder if there's going to be any importer from phpBB 3.1.6 any time soon.
If not, is there any cost-effective workarounds.

Thanks

The above is highly recommended. You can see his post here:

Many customers feel comfortable using the importers themselves.

You can always set up a test XF installation and try it yourself - there's a dedicated import support forum if you have questions or run into issues.

Importing doesn't affect the original site, so your phpBB installation can continue to operate.

If you then decide to contract a third party you can do so.

Many customers feel comfortable using the importers themselves.

You can always set up a test XF installation and try it yourself - there's a dedicated import support forum if you have questions or run into issues.

Importing doesn't affect the original site, so your phpBB installation can continue to operate.

If you then decide to contract a third party you can do so.
Yeah, but the importer doesn't support phpBB 3.1.6 right? And upgrading phpBB is epically failing no matter what I try for some crazy reason.

That's correct, unfortunately. It looks like the importer is confirmed to work with phpBB 3.2 and phpBB 3.3.

It may work with phpBB 3.1 but you would have to test it.

If that doesn't work, an alternative path would be to import into XenForo 1.5 which does support phpBB 3.1 and then upgrade XenForo 1.5 to XenForo 2.2.

This is not a path we recommend anymore (it used to be more commonplace) but in cases like this it should work fine.

XF and the importer don't need a working site.

So you could create a duplicate installation of the phpBB site and upgrade it, just so the importer can use the upgraded database.

If that works then you can do it for real which would just result in a small amount of downtime.

Top Bottom