XF 1.2 Migrating from a vbulletin forum installed at root

jauburn

I have a small vb forum installed on the root (public_html) and am thinking of migrating it to xenforo. Would want the xenforo also to be on the root. Is such a migration possible? Will uploading the xen files conflict with the vb installation?

Thanks.

Either move the vB install to a folder, install XenForo in the root and then do the import.

Or, install XenForo in a folder, do the import, then move the vB install and move the XenForo install to the root.

Either move the vB install to a folder, install XenForo in the root and then do the import.

Or, install XenForo in a folder, do the import, then move the vB install and move the XenForo install to the root.

Ah, of course. I forgot that really all I need is access to the database, and that's not dependent on the location of the files. Thanks. I could actually just back up the site, blow all of the vb files away, and copy the xenforo up, couldn't I?

Yes, all you need is to be able to access the DB if everything is stored there.
If avatars and attachments are stored in the file system then you will obviously need those too.

I had this same scenario. My suggestion is (like others said) to create a new file (directory), create a new database, and install xenforo on that file/database, then when you're finished...

Swap the files around - so if your root is at file1, and your new xf is in file2 (in the same root), move that file2 to parent, so it's root by the time you're finished - rename file2 to file1.

Finished? Good. Now delete the old vB instance if you feel ready to do so. (I would keep it for a little bit in case anything goes wrong).
Ah, of course. I forgot that really all I need is access to the database, and that's not dependent on the location of the files. Thanks. I could actually just back up the site, blow all of the vb files away, and copy the xenforo up, couldn't I?
Well, thing is this, Public_HTML is where your server "accessed" from, so you need to pay attention to what you're doing.

But otherwise, yes.

Top Bottom