Migrate from IPS?

Crba

Hi

I am an ordinary administrator.
Why should I switch to XenForo and leave IPS?

Interested in the opinion of experts and former owners of IPS

Last edited:
Interested in the opinion of former IPS owners
My experience of admining with IPS is years ago so can only comment as a user on various forums that use it and all I can say is the experience can be a bit frustrating just trying to format posts.

Best thing might be to just try the free demo.

Sorry to hijack the thread but am in the same boat with IPS. It now seems far cheaper to run XenForo (the new $19 monthly self-hosted IPS license is daylight robbery) so am looking into it all before purchasing and migrating over.

Can someone tell me if its easier to put XenForo into another directory, migrate from IPS in the root, then move XenForo into the root when completed?
Also, to anyone thats recently migrated from IPS, is there anything at all that doesn't convert? I have a few other custom reactions added in IPS, so wonder if they'll all disappear?

Thanks

Why? Because of the 3rd party add on market. No software is as well equipped in 3rd party add ons like Xenforo. If you like pushing and customizing the software, Xenforo is miles better than IPS.

Welcome to the club, we were on IPS for a while and had to switch because of a bug in there subscription system they would not fix which had us loosing $5,000+ USD / Month in revenue. IPS is going full corporate and basically screwing over their community.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 103238.webp

Last edited:
I've read a few posts that there are some issues getting the polls migrated from IPB to XF?

Can anyone confirm?
XF does not support:
  • Multiple questions
  • Links in poll options
I converted mine and the regular, single question polls were fine. Those with multiple questions used question #1 only, and any links in poll options showed the bbcode. Also some were cut short (character-wise) but that may have been due to links showing as code.

I switched back to Xenforo from IPS awhile back. I had some polls and they all pulled over fine. (But I went from Xenforo to IPS, then back to Xenforo) so that might have something to do with it. But after converting they come over just fine.

Just yesterday I started the 30-day free trial of IPS and honestly, I found its interface very intuitive and easy to use. I love the native integration of various features like Commerce, Downloads, Gallery and Courses, and many more features that I would like to offer Xenforo, such as natively monetizing almost everything. The only drawback is the price, which is considered excessive. The monthly payment plan I need amounts to $149, or $1,788 annually, it is true that it includes everything, server, support and many other things. I also looked into the one-time purchase option for $499, it seems to be quite limited compared to the recurring payment options. In my opinion, Xenforo offers similar functionalities at a much more affordable price,

Last edited:
XF does not support:
  • Multiple questions
  • Links in poll options
I converted mine and the regular, single question polls were fine. Those with multiple questions used question #1 only, and any links in poll options showed the bbcode. Also some were cut short (character-wise) but that may have been due to links showing as code.
It is a pity, our IPB forum is quite old. Is it not possible in any way?

Maybe @Slavik knows how to migrate more non-standart data from IPB?

buy in with both are about $100 apart but you do get some additional features with ips that you don't with xenforo. when i was looking at actually having to pay full price i compared both.
the problem i had with being willing to spend that kind of money with them was whether they were going to continue with a version i could run myself or if they were going to end that aspect. at least with xenforo they have not said that they plan on killing the version you can host yourself.

Top Bottom