Microsoft Windows 8 Review

Adam Howard

I have been a long time Microsoft user since way back in the day, when Microsoft was still producing Microsoft DOS (MSdos). And I can still remember the excitement many people felt when that first color windows screen in 8bit or 16bit color, popped up to reveal Microsoft Windows 3.0

It would be sometime later that a friend of mine showed me an internal copy of Microsoft Windows 1.0 and 2.0, so I can indeed say I've seen them from the ground up on Windows.

Since then I've alpha and beta tested a wide range of Microsoft products, but I have always been lucky enough to either be accepted into their Windows release for testing or been given a private sneak peek sometimes into things that never made it public. And thankfully, some of those never did. Although there was one or two, I really wish that had.

Microsoft Windows has always been a successful operating system for both consumers and business for many years. Ever since that original boom they made with the release of Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows NT, 17 years ago, it has been one hell of a ride for Microsoft.

With the exception of Microsoft Windows ME and Microsoft Windows Vista, as I assume many of you will recall Windows ME making the "blue screen of death" the punch line of many jokes and Windows Vista being a completely systems nightmare of software & hardware conflicts. Both of which in the tech world and even down to the simple consumer, all mostly and universally agree were complete failures; Microsoft Windows has been a solid consistent OS (operating system) overall.

So why on earth has Microsoft decided to develop Microsoft Windows 8 in such away that it will completely isolate its self as the least user-friendly version of Windows, is a little beyond me.

For starters, the classic and iconic Windows Start Button is a thing of the past. Upon reaching the desktop, where the start button use to be, you'll find an Internet Explorer icon in the task bar.

And if you're not a fan of Internet Explorer, you'll soon grow tired of it taking over everything. Even when you select another web browser as your system default, you'll notice that Microsoft Internet Explorer will load as the default should any program call for you to see a webpage. It almost seems as though Microsoft has forgotten about their legal dispute in regards to forcing Internet Explorer down on people.

Next to IE (Internet Explorer), you'll notice the classic folder icon which became standard in Windows Vista and Windows 7. But again, no start menu. All the way to the right of the task bar, you'll notice your clock time and notifications. And that's all folks.

Of course Microsoft has replaced the start menu with a "start screen" that can not be accessed directly within view of the desktop, but rather if you move your mouse all the way to the most lowest, left side, a small hidden window (link) will pop-up to bring you to this "start screen". Or you can of course click on "start button" on your keyboard to access it, if you have such a key on your keyboard.

But this is not the point.

Millions of people will not know this because they're use to using their mouse and they're not accustom to having to search for hidden pop-up links or having to find a special key on their keyboard.

For the more tech aware users, this will not be such a problem and we almost forget that many home users don't know all of the shortcuts within Windows. But then again, Microsoft has removed many of those shortcuts that even we use.

The "start screen" is only a basic outline of the many applications in which you can interact with. For a more "menu feel", you'll need to right-click on their new "start screen". And then you'll need to learn how to scroll from right to left, as there is no more scrolling up or down.

The basic menus bars that allowed you to shrink, maximize, or close a program are also gone. So if you're a power user and like to have more than 1 window in view, you're most likely going to be disappointed with Windows 8.

And even from a simple home user, not being able to locate an easy way to exit your programs is going to be discouraging. Not to forget resource heavy should you end up having so many program running in the background.

Microsoft was mildly thoughtful to allow people to hover their mouse in the top right corner, where you'll be able to switch programs that are already open, from a thumb nail size view. This of course is also hidden and not something the average person would know about.

But again, it seems in many applications you don't have the option to have them titled or side-by-side as before. So no more multitasking for anyone it would seem.

There are so many ways in which Microsoft Windows 8 becomes so confusing and so many things seem missing and hidden, that while it may not yet be released, it has become a YouTube hit (perhaps a joke) on how difficult it is for the average home users ( see videos below) from middle age to even the younger generation; ages 12, 45, and 65 and all of them lost and confused.

12 year old
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

45 years old

65 years old

So why has Microsoft done this?

Because Microsoft Windows 8 is allegedly designed to help target and convert people over away from desktop computers and more toward table computers. Microsoft is playing a very large gamble and believes in the long run that this will pay off.

Speaking personally as someone who sometimes does use a tablet and who has family who also uses tables from time to time. None of us could ever imagine wanting to do all our computing on one. Tables have their uses and maybe advancing, but they're not yet at a stage where they could easily replace your desktop computer. And even if there were so, you'd not want such a transition to seem so not user-friendly.

And just like Microsoft Windows Vista, a lot of people will discover yet again how much hardware & software conflicts there will be. A lot of people will be forced to purchase new hardware, assuming they don't mind buying into yet another failure of Microsoft, as they did with Windows Vista.

If anything I believe Microsoft Windows 8 will help push the growing sales of Apple Computer; which many developers, including computer gaming, now are seriously looking toward. But also many business applications, office suites, and alternative are all fully compatible to the already Microsoft Office standards. Making such a transition less of an issue for those willing to venture away from Microsoft Windows 8.

I can think of 1 well-known and popular game developing company which will be releasing a very big and well-known gaming title on Apple Computer, made for Mac OS. And they've not ruled out a possible Linux version later down the road either.

Apple Computer already has a strong name brand that many people love and respect, but more importantly are very familiar with. No matter if it is an iPod, iPhone, or iPad, chances are you've used some kind of Apple interface. And all of the icons and some of the basic layout are exactly the same.

Best of all, Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Microsoft Windows 7 can all dual-boot without any technical knowledge or computer skills required (Apple Boot Camp is included). So for those who may still feel the need to switch in between the two while still learning, they can do so without any effort on their part.

But best of all, Apple now has affordable Apple Computers priced equal and sometimes less than a DELL or HP computer ($599). And their Mac OS is only $30 as compared to purchasing Microsoft Windows 8 full edition or upgrade.

Of course for people not looking to go down that road, there are some completely free alternatives such as Ubuntu Linux. Which while maybe lacking in gaming currently, offers everything else the average home user would use anyways, the same as Apple or Windows.

Although Linux is still a bit of a learning curve for the average home users, where as with Apple it basically is much more self-explanatory.

But I for one have a firm belief in that I'll not be looking to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 8 anytime soon. I've already purchased myself an Apple Computer and use Windows 7 along side it without any problems. Truth be told, I find myself using Mac OS more often. I also am learning Ubuntu Linux, just for the sake of trying it out.

But the most telling thing I can say, is while I love my mother, she is hopeless when it comes to technology. And I spent years trying to get her to understand Windows. She's one of those people you could explain it again and again, but it just never settles in when it comes to computers. Yet she has no problem using my Apple. Go figure.

Sitting here on my desk are two PCs and an iMac. There is also a laptop around here somewhere. I dual-boot Linux Mint Debian Edition and SolusOS on one PC, I triple boot Linux Mint Lisa, SolusOS and Win 7 on the other PC, my iMac runs on SolusOS and the laptop dual boots Linux Mint 12 and Win 7. I've not booted a machine into Windows in 4 months and can't imagine doing so in the next 4 months.

Some people consider not being able to play all their favorite games in Linux as a setback. But I've always figured that's what that Xbox is all about and have never played games on any of my computers. And I can do anything I need to do from within Linux, so why would I ever want to give up speed and security?

I'm with you in thinking Microsoft is committing suicide with Win 8.

I won't be upgrading (not so much an upgrade) to windows 8. I stuck with winxp up until a year ago to win 7 I'll probably do the same and bypass win8. Another Gimmicky version of windows that really won't be practical imo.

I'll be honest and say that I barely made it past the first paragraph so I don't have clue what you've just said.

Don't take this the wrong way but you need to improve your sentence syntax and paragraph structure otherwise it's hard to imagine why anyone would spend time reading this.

Doesn't matter whether it is finished or not. It is already in a late development stage and nobody should expect any major changes before it goes RTM.

I've already made the decision: Hell would freeze over before I put Windows 8 on any of my desktop or laptop computers :) Its usability for more experienced users (= users who need an operating system for getting work done instead of just "playing around") is so much worse, it's not even funny.

Matter of fact: Tablets and other handheld devices are fine and all, but they are not suitable for a lot of usage scenarios. Also, the differences between conventional (= mouse / keyboard operated) and touch operated user interfaces are significant. Anyone who has developed applications for both worlds should know this and should also know that it is next to impossible to bring them under one hood without making one side suffer. That's exactly what happens in Win 8.

Yeah, I would consider dropping Windows in favor of OS X any day now if this is really the way MS thinks a future operating system should look like.

I'll be honest and say that I barely made it past the first paragraph so I don't have clue what you've just said.

Don't take this the wrong way but you need to improve your sentence syntax and paragraph structure otherwise it's hard to imagine why anyone would spend time reading this.
My spelling and grammar is correct. Unless you can point out a flaw with some kind of correction, your view-point is invalid.

My spelling and grammar is correct. Unless you can point out a flaw with some kind of correction, your view-point is invalid.

Where do you want me to start?

The grammar, punctuation, paragraph structure, double negatives, sentence fragmentation, word repetition, 30+ paragraphs, etc...

Nothing against yourself but you haven't made it easy to read.

To be perfectly honest, Microsoft isn't the first one to go down this road (again), both the biggest desktop environments in Linux has done this already (KDE4 and GNOME3). Ubuntu is already doing similar stuff. For example, try getting the same people use GNOME Shell or Unity (which are the worst IMO). The traditional desktop has been changed, it is now nothing more than a widget container. I see metro just as another implementation of GNOME DO.

For me, the best desktop as of now is one using XFCE (and GTK2). Just adding on GNOME DO, and maybe a few more applications, and everything are smooth in my opinion. Once I need GTK3 or Qt4 I get annoyed. For the same reasons, I am going to stay with Windows 7 for as long as I possibly can, and when that reach EOL, I will just drop Windows all together (again).

Sure. I was actually trying to give you constructive criticism but it appears you've taken it to heart.
I've not taken anything to heart.

I just believe you to be incorrect, as I have proof read my writing and "spelling & grammar checked" it several times (using more than one alternative source). So either you're basing your view-point on a different dialect of English or simply trolling.

Neither of which bothers me personally and I only find it mildly entertaining; that you have not attempted to point out directly any flaws or corrections to uphold your statement. So naturally I'm leaning more toward the general consensus of you simply trolling and I do find that comical.

So please do continue to troll harder.

I've not taken anything to heart.

I just believe you to be incorrect, as I have proof read my writing and "spelling & grammar checked" it several times (using more than one alternative source). So either you're basing your view-point on a different dialect of English or simply trolling.

Neither of which bothers me personally and I only find it mildly entertaining; that you have not attempted to point out directly any flaws or corrections to uphold your statement. So naturally I'm leaning more toward the general consensus of you simply trolling and I do find that comical.

So please do continue to troll harder.
*cough*
grammar, punctuation, paragraph structure, double negatives, sentence fragmentation, word repetition, 30+ paragraphs

Your post contains over 30 paragraphs with poor sentence syntax. Over repetition of words such as "Microsoft" and "Windows". Then there's starting paragraphs with words like "And" and "But". I could go on but it's not something I should really need to point out.

I don't really care about grammar when it comes to forum posts but when it comes to something which should have at least some formality such as a "review", then it does irk me to when I'm faced with a wall of text with almost no format, which in turn makes it difficult to read. That's why I pointed it out. Nothing to do with trolling but clearly you've taken it to heart so I really shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

By the way, I've never said anything about your spelling so I'm a bit confused as to where you quoted that from.

*cough*

Your post contains over 30 paragraphs with poor sentence syntax. Over repetition of words such as "Microsoft" and "Windows". Then there's starting paragraphs with words like "And" and "But". I could go on but it's not something I should really need to point out.

I don't really care about grammar when it comes to forum posts but when it comes to something which should have at least some formality such as a "review", then it does irk me to when I'm faced with a wall of text with almost no format, which in turn makes it difficult to read. That's why I pointed it out. Nothing to do with trolling but clearly you've taken it to heart so I really shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

By the way, I've never said anything about your spelling so I'm a bit confused as to where you quoted that from.

We'll agree to disagree.

Stating (using) the full formal name of a product or name doesn't count as poor grammar. And is more than valid when writing a review of Microsoft Windows. How many times someone uses that is irrelevant, provided the sentence structure is of course comprehensible.

In current modern English, you can indeed start a proper sentence or paragraph with the words; "And" or "But".

Your writing style and perhaps your dialect, maybe different from mine. But being different does not suggest that either of our writing styles are incorrect.

We'll agree to disagree.
2vkbzpd.gif

I've been using Windows 8 since the Developer Preview, and other than a few little complaints I have (for example, you apparently can't log out of Messenger), I've been very happy with it.

More to the point, everyone who's seen it on my laptop (which I use as a desktop when docked) has been very interested and impressed. Lots of "Wow" factor.

Is it a learning curve? Absolutely. Is it a hugely steep one? No, I don't think so. Metro is really no more difficult to use than Android or iOS.

Honestly, let's face it. Since Windows 7 has come out, my use of the start menu has dropped precipitously. I use it basically a) to search; b) to pin apps I don't want to pin to the task bar; and c) to get to the control panel.

The control panel's been moved to a separate menu (and honestly a more relevant one), and search and pinned apps work just fine on Metro. On top of that, the start menu now has useful, effective widgets- for weather, mail, calendar, and the like- that I liked in principle in Windows 7 on the desktop but that were always too inaccessible. On Windows 8 they're just a quick tap of the Windows Key away.

Do I spend most of my time on the old windows desktop? Yeah, absolutely. But that's because for Windows 8 on a non-tablet device, Metro is basically a new start menu. Which isn't a bad thing. Because the start menu really could use the revamping.

This isn't an English lesson, or test, so please people, stop *****ing back and forth and ruining a great topic.

Regarding Windows 8, I tried the consumer release and the one before that and hated it, I really hope they don't force this stupid metro interface upon us, it's freaking ugly and a nightmare to use for people who are accustomed to the traditional Windows interface.

There was a registry tweak in the Technet/corporate release (the one before consumer edition) which allowed you to remove the metro interface, but that apparently was disabled/hidden in the consumer edition, so it really is like they're forcing people to use computers THEIR way.

I won't be upgrading, if it's released like it is now.

Top Bottom