Microsoft Windows 8 Review

An apt comparision, yet neither of those are nor are they meant to be desktop UIs. This is an example of "innovating" in the wrong direction.
That wasn't my point. My point was that the Metro UI isn't hard to learn or difficult to use. It's different, but it's also fairly trivial. If you've ever picked up a mobile device in the last 4-5 years, you'll be fairly adept with it in no time. (Especially the Playbook, in a lot of ways it feels like a cross between the Playbook and Windows Phone 7).

Are there some parts that could use a tutorial? Yes, absolutely. For one thing, hiding the "Windows" spot on the desktop- I can understand why they did it, and once you understand how it works it becomes a non-issue, but for someone who just sits down in front of it it can be a hassle.

This is actually especially true for some of the gesture controls; if you're using Windows 8 on a tablet, how do you bring up the multi-tasking menu? (It's a slight jog in from the left and out again, but that sure as hell isn't obvious). Same with the "Close Window" gesture, dropping the window. They're not complicated, they just need a bit of explanation.

However, if I was on the Windows product team, the first thing I would ensure happened was that Windows 8 shipped with a 30-second tutorial that goes "Here are some of the features of Windows 8's New Interface" and shows you just what all the basic elements are.

Beyond that, though, there's nothing wrong with Metro as a desktop interface. People scream about how it's fisher price- which I suppose is a matter of personal aesthetic opinion- but from a usability standpoint, there's really no substantial downside. You're not locked into Metro apps on the desktop if you don't want them: on the desktop, Metro is basically just an expanded start menu. And it performs that task admirably.

I like Microsoft. I too grew up with them once personal computers came along. I had an Altair and everything RS made in the early day prior to MS-DOS. MS and Intel pretty much facilitated the personal computer market and its ultimate commodity status. Don't get me wrong, I'm a unix/linux/OSX fan almost entirely. My primary computer is a MacBook Pro with a quad core i7 flame thrower that I can multi boot into debian, vinux, Win XP, and grml.

I have a couple of laptops with pre Vista Windows. I don't immagine I will upgrade to Win 8.

fos

I've been using Windows 8 since the Developer Preview, and other than a few little complaints I have (for example, you apparently can't log out of Messenger), I've been very happy with it.

More to the point, everyone who's seen it on my laptop (which I use as a desktop when docked) has been very interested and impressed. Lots of "Wow" factor.
The "Wow factors" are not going to attract IT professionals though, because we see a piece of software from a different point of view. If that piece of software deliberately and unnecessarily kills my productivity, then it's a no-go. Period. No matter how many wow factors there are, because such factors fade after the first few hours of using it and the cr*p that comes with them sticks for the next couple of years. Not the best deal, in my opinion.

Is it a learning curve? Absolutely. Is it a hugely steep one? No, I don't think so. Metro is really no more difficult to use than Android or iOS.
Compare apples and oranges?

I already said it - there are *huge* differences in UI design between conventional and touch operated systems. You cannot compare them, neither can you stick them under a single hood - it's an instant path to failure.

Metro isn't badly designed UI, it does have a lot of well developed concepts and I would go as far and say that it's actually more user friendly than Android (even though, I'm a Android fan) but it's not made for conventional devices. Therefore it should not exist on such devices or, more precisely, we should not be forced to use it.

If Win 8 would let me completely disable that Metro stuff on my desktop or notebook, then the entire thing would be a no-issue.

No Start Menu button = I want to punch Microsoft in it's face.

Watching Bill Gates get pied in the face will have to do for now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Navigation with all the hidden thingys is very awful. I thought I would get use to it but couldn't stand it for a week. Users shouldn't have to search for basic functions which are avaliable in previous versions of a software.

Hidden navigation makes it fun; it's like an RPG. You've got to check all those chests and find weapons and or a pot of gold. Sort of like women, now that I think about it.

Why am I always the black sheep?

I've actually been using Windows 8 as my primary OS now across two installs. The first being the Development Preview, the most recent being the Consumer Preview.

What can I say? I'm not going to sit here and say it's fantastic and it's revolutionary and it's the best thing since Windows 8, because it's not. But it's not BAD either. I've been using it every day since the Dev Preview was released on my laptop (no touchscreen!) and I can't really fault it. Do I miss the start menu? Why would I? I still have one! Ok, it's not the same Start Menu that's been there since Windows 95 but it's there. I'm getting on quite well with it... I might even say that it works better for me.

I was talking to someone who said "but now I have to click a button to load my desktop - I don't want to start at my Start Menu". It transpires that the first thing they do when they get to their desktop is launch their browser which is on their desktop as a shortcut 99% of the time. Ok... so why not just pin your browser shortcut tile to the beginning of the new start menu? Technically it's one click less for the same result as tiles on the Start Menu only require a single click :D

Getting back to the start menu is pretty easy as well - ok the BUTTON isn't there but the overlay that appears when hovering your mouse where the button used to be is more than sufficient and I can search it easily or just have my common programs at the front of the Start Menu.

I really don't find it much of a bother.

I can see why Microsoft have done it... It means they can release one OS that is touch friendly and non-touch friendly at the same time without having to maintain another two different flavours. I'm sure many will hate Microsoft for it. But these are the people who don't tend to embrace change very well or just get incredibly comfortable with one way of doing things until it's engrained in their brain as being the RIGHT way.

At worst I'm ambivalent towards the changes and I will probably continue to use Windows 8 as my primary OS without any particularly positive or negative feelings towards it. Only time will tell whether non-techies embrace the changes and if they result in a positive experience for them. Only time will tell whether this revolutionises the tablet market (probably not, I suspect). But overall, I know people will disagree with me until it hurts, but these changes are "OK".

I agree. I had the Dev Preview installed and kind of liked what I've seen & used/tested. I won't be installing any released versions of Windows 8 onto my MacBook and/or on my mom's dekstop computer before it comes officially out, but I will definitely be using the final version. Legal or pirated, I don't care, as long as it works. As for the new UI and stuff, I don't mind that and hopefully, so won't my mom (BTW she is now using my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop which has windows 7 installed on it).

Top Bottom